Ch. 50: Life Goes On

1974

Everything settled down and some weigh was lifted off Elvis' shoulders. He and Priscilla were getting along, and he often said that she was more like a sister to him. However, he still loved her very much and was coping with the divorce. 

On Elvis' 39th birthday, "Elvis Presley Day" was declared in both the city and county of Memphis. It reassured Elvis that fans in Memphis and just in general still loved him. There was a parade that was aired on television and some fans wished Elvis and I a "Happy Birthday with banners and all. I spent my 32nd birthday with my family along with a late cast celebration party with my co-stars of The Excorcist. 

Elvis was in Los Angeles to begin rehearsing for his upcoming Vegas engagement. He came to visit Priscilla, Lisa Marie, and also my family. His appearance was slowly changing and he wore the flashiest wardrobe ever! It reminded my mother of Liberace, but Elvis actually looked hip in it. He brought early birthday gifts for Joshua and Rita and five new outfits for me. Priscilla gave me two outfits along with accessories and shoes she designed and had people made from her store, Bis & Beau. She also made outfits for Josh and Rita. 

Me: "Thank you for the gifts Elvis and Priscilla. The children love their new toys and clothing. So do I!" 

Elvis: "I'm glad y'all like the presents. I haven't had time to see your latest movie, Lilly.. But I've heard it's fantastic and something different. The guys and I plan to see a private showing of it in a couple of weeks."

Me: "Thanks, I hope you enjoy it." 

Priscilla: "Lisa also made a card for you and the kids." 

Me: "That explains the glitter on some of the clothes! Thank you Lisa." 

Lisa: "Your welcome Aunt Lilly."

Months passed and everyone was doing their own thing. James told me his brother went to one of Elvis' concerts in March and said that the weirdest thing happened on stage! The colonel rode a donkey on stage, which was led by Vernon. I found it odd, but I didn't mind it because those tours need some fun in there once a while. 

Vernon and Dee were having troubles in their marriage and things were becoming ugly at home. Eventually, Vernon left Dee and Graceland and found a new home. I don't know if Elvis was relieved that the marriage was over, but he was certainly attached to his three stepbrothers. 

May was a hectic month, especially because Will was going to be 13 years old! He was now 5'9 and spending lots of time with his father at the football field. His goal was to be an NFL football player in the future. Elvis gifted Will with a male German Shepherd puppy that he named Blitz. 

I got to help out at Priscilla's shared store, Bis & Beau, for a couple of weeks. I designed new clothing and pitched ideas for a new clothing line. I found this process very fun, especially with Priscilla leading me along the way. It was nice to see her

Elvis called to ask me if Rita, Samantha, and I would like to go see The Jackson 5. Lisa Marie was excited to learn that she would be seeing The Jackson 5 at the Sahara and she wanted to invite the girls.

Me: "We'd love to go! Rita is actually going to be spending time with Jennifer Wilson for three days so she won't be going to the concert." 

Elvis: "Who's Jennifer?" 

Me: "Rita's friend and the daughter of Dennis Wilson.. You know, the drummer of The Beach Boys? Haven't I told you that already?"

Elvis: "I must of forgot... anyways, Lisa will be excited to know that you and Samantha will join her at the concert." 

Samantha and I went to Las Vegas to attend the concert, which was loads of fun! Lisa and Samantha got to meet all the Jackson brothers, but they enjoyed speaking to Michael. He was very nice towards the girls, and they enjoyed the concert. 

Elvis was having some difficulty opening a fantastic Tahoe engagement. James read the review in the paper and the were tepid. The crowds weren't like they use to be, and critics were being harsh on Elvis and everything he did. 

June was when Elvis allowed girlfriend Linda Thompson to redecorate Graceland. I went to Memphis to see what Linda's ideas were, and her taste was... interesting. As much as I loved Linda as a person, I honestly didn't like her plans on decorated Graceland with a red-theme. Graceland was such a beautiful place with decor that was fine, but red wasn't fitting for it. 

Priscilla found out from Elvis that Graceland was getting a makeover, and she somewhat agreed that it needed a new look. The color red just wasn't fitting for Graceland, but she liked Linda. Lisa Marie and Linda got along, and she was glad someone was keeping an eye on her. 

I recieved a phone call from Elvis in December and he didn't sound too happy. When he thought his career was boosting back up again, things weren't happening as planned. 

Elvis: "Things are upside down, Lilly. I've been havin' health problems, which is hindering my performance. I lost interest in The New Gladiators, which really interested me at first with its plot, and the tabloids are just spreadin' lies about me bein' unhappy and picturing me being 40."

Me: "The press is only writing those type of stories about you based on your performances at your engagements and such. In all honesty, you wouldn't be having health issues if you didn't take drugs and lived a healthy lifestyle. It sounds a bit harsh, but it's the truth." 

Elvis: "They're prescription drugs damn it! I have to take them. A good diet ain't gonna do me any good. I'm tryin' my best when performing... it's no use."

Me: "You don't have to take them, Elvis. Taking pills is your choice. I mean, I know they're prescription drugs, but that doctor of yours is giving you unnecessary pills! You could stop taking the diet pills because I believe if you watch your diet, you'll lose weight in no time." 

Elvis: "I'm gonna eat what I wanna eat, and get what I wanna get. I know you care about me, Lilly, but I think I'll be fine." 

Me: "Lets hope so, Elvis." 

Everyday that passed by, I was getting more and more worried about Elvis. He needed help. I know resented the Mafia and all of the people surrounding him because they were a bad influence. I called them "Yes Men" because they couldn't say no to Elvis. They believed Elvis was going to fire them. There were so many red flags, and I don't know if I'm able to do anything to help anymore.