Ch. 36: Serenity

*Lillian spends January through early-May in California, and is focused on her children. She turns down Elvis' invitation to see him record new material and to Lisa's 1st birthday party! However, she and her family join Elvis in Hawaii for a 3-week vacation.

My New Year's Resolution for 1969 was to spend more time with family. I discussed this with Cheyenne, and she commended my resolution. I wanted to still do photoshoots, but not as often. We agreed on at least three photoshoots a month, but no more than that. Cheyenne also needed to spend time with her children. I now took two dance classes a week, the same studio and days as Rita.

On January 8th, James took me out to dinner for my 27th birthday. It was a candlelit dinner, and it reminded me of the setting when he asked me to marry him. 

Me: "Hun, this reminds me of the time we had dinner and got engaged.."

James: "That was my goal, love. It has been almost 9 years since we gotten married, and it honestly doesn't seem that long ago."

Me: :"It doesn't. There's times where I can't believe I'm married to a wonderful man, mother to five amazing children, and still famous at the same time."

James: "You better believe it, baby! But I think everyone can't believe you and Elvis are still the closest of friends. It means you haven't been on his bad side yet!"

When we got home from a spectacular dinner, my Mother mentioned that I had recieved a telegram from Elvis, Priscilla, and Lisa. It read:

Dearest Lillian,

Happy 27th Birthday, love. This must be one of the first birthdays we didn't celebrate together. Hope you and family are celebrating together. You deserve an amazing birthday as always. Sending our wishes and love from Memphis.

Love,
Elvis, Priscilla, and Lisa Marie

I sent them a telegram thanking them for remembering my birthday. And of course, I wished Elvis a "Happy Birthday" and complimenting him on looking fine for a 34-year old. 

On January 14th, James and I threw a birthday celebration for Joshua and Rita. Joshua was turning 6 years old, while Rita was turning 4 years old. I planned out the whole party, decorations, food, and games. James was surprised at the outcoming of my planning, and it was perfect! The children enjoyed the cakes and cupcakes I baked and iced myself, and I felt pretty accomplished.

Joshua and Rita recieved a total of 40 gifts altogether. I enjoyed taking video of them opening gifts, and seeing their reactions to certain ones. But, there was one gift that made a priceless reaction. Two puppies named Roxanne and Ricky. These pups were not siblings, and James and I planned for them to breed in the future so next generations can own their puppies.

During the second week of January, Elvis called me explaining his excitement about some new material he was having fun recording at American Sound. 

Elvis: "Lilly, it was great. It was one of those jam sessions where I just felt good. The Mafia boys were with me, and boy, I was real excited. I want another #1 record."

Me: "That's wonderful, Elvis. You'll have another #1 record if you work hard and produce a record that blows the roof off the place."

Elvis: "Yeah, wouldn't that be great. Say, can you fly to Memphis this week? I really want ya to see what is in the works. It's amazin'."

Me: "I would love to, Elvis. But I'm enjoying being busy with my children. I have two dance classes a week, the same time as Rita, and I'm taking the boys to school and helping them with their school work. Teaching the twins how to go to the bathroom is a struggle, but I love it."