Ch. 14: Bye-Bye, Germany!

[January 1960]

I celebrated my 18th birthday with Elvis, his family, and his friends. Elvis turned 25; a highlight in his life. He was in between 20 and 30! Elvis joked about me turning 18-years old, while I just rolled my eyes at him. Germany was where I got to know Elvis better, and observe what happens between him, his friends, family, and girls. I never really got along with any of Elvis's guy friends, but they were very respectful to me most of the time. I learned that Elvis loved the attention of many girls. I never understood why he would kiss some on the lips, but I never expressed my opinion to him. By this time, I never knew who was really Elvis's main girl was. Even though I wondered about it quite often,I never asked him. Priscilla was there to celebrate our birthdays, and it was nice seeing her. My family and James called me to sing "Happy Birthday" and to ask how I was doing. James told me that he and Jack were closer to joining the NFL.

I spent a lot of time getting to know Priscilla. I was the only person who was allowed to have numerous conversations with, beside Elvis's family. She was quiet, beautiful, mature, and observant for a girl who was only 14-years old at the time. She told me about her family, and mentioned that her mother is a fan of my mother. She expressed her interest in dance, and I invited her to participate in one of my Intermediate Classes. She could dance, but it wasn't a natural ability.

[February 1960]

It was February 2nd, and it was only two days before I headed home to California. My manager signed me up to model for some clothing ads in a famous, fashion magazine in Germany. It was the first time I modeled for clothing, but I was very excited. I always wanted to persue a modeling career, but at this time, I knew modeling was only a hobby. I brought Priscilla along with me because I thought it would be nice for her to tag along. I went in one day, and was introduced to photographer, Paul Adams, and fashion designer Elisa Goodson. I immediately got my hair and make-up done, and got fitted in a nice and simple collared shirt and grey skirt. From there, I gave them a simple pose with a dramatic stare into the camera. They only needed five shots to find the perfect one. I had a lot of fun, and so did Priscilla.

I left Germany in the early morning of February 4th. I experienced a different culture in Germany, but I enjoyed making new acquaintances there. However, I preferred the states. I said goodbye to Priscilla, and told Elvis and his family that I would see them in a month.