Ch. 29: Preparing for a Wedding

[January 1967]

Elvis and Priscilla enjoyed being engaged, but Elvis was busier than ever. However, we managed to celebrate our birthdays together with a small, private, party at Graceland. Elvis turned 32, while I turned 25. We ate so much food!

"Elvis, all of this southern food is going to make me gain five pounds! All of this food is delicious though!"

"Honey, you shouldn't even worry about gainin' weight. You lose weight in an instant second. You're like a twig. Eat some more food! Remember when my mama use to cook this all the time?"

"Mhmm... She made delicious food. I loved when she made breakfast."

Elvis and I talked for 15 minutes about our favorite foods or recipes from his Mother. Priscilla quietly listened, but I could tell that she wanted to learn how to cook some southern food for Elvis. I made a deal that if I taught her how to cook, she would have to take me shopping sometime.

After, we rode horses around the back of Graceland. The wind blew my hair all over the place, while Priscilla's hairsprayed beehive was kept in place. I remembered that Elvis wanted me to put my hair in a beehive, but I refused. I wasn't a fan of putting too much hairspray on my hair, or teasing it a lot. But, I did allow Priscilla to put a bunch of make-up on my face, which frankly I didn't like.

On January 15th, Elvis's Aunt's husband, Pat Biggs, passed away. Elvis felt so sad for his aunt, and he didn't know what to do to help her. He asked his father and I for advice.

"Daddy, Lilly, I don't know what to do."

Vernon let out a huge sigh. "It's a difficult time for your Aunt Delta, and we just need to help comfort her at this time. There ain't nothin' we can do as of now."

Me: "She's going to be lonely now that her husband has passed... She needs company."

Elvis: "What if she moves here, Daddy?"

Vernon: "Elvis, that would be a nice thing to do for your Aunt, but you already have so many people here at Graceland! Don't you think it would be too overwhelming?"

Elvis: "It doesn't matter, she's my Aunt."

It was settled. Aunt Delta was going to live with at Graceland with Elvis, Priscilla, and Dodger. Elvis' decision was very nice, and Priscilla couldn't wait to meet another relative of Elvis. The last time I saw Elvis's Aunt Delta was in 1957, which was 9 years ago.

I felt sick when I was in Memphis, so Elvis took me to see a doctor. During the drive to the doctor's, Elvis was asking all of these questions. It made him drive slower than usual.

Elvis: "What are you feeling right now? My Daddy told me you felt a bit sick, but not too sick."

Me: "I'm fine Elvis, I just want to know what's happening in my body. That's all.'

Elvis: "Do you think you're... pregnant?"

Me: "That's what I'm thinking, but Elvis, let's just go to the doctor's and see what's up."

Elvis stayed in the car while I went inside. After an hour waiting, I finally emerged from the office with a small smile on my face. As soon as I got in the car, Elvis was wondering what happened.

Elvis: "Lilly, what did the doc say?"

Me: "James and I are going to have another little one.."

Elvis: "You don't say! Another little kiddo for Lilly. Congratulations!"

Elvis revealed that Priscilla wanted to go look for wedding dresses, and wanted me to accompany her. But, Elvis didn't want me too stressed out over their wedding. However, I insisted that I helped Priscilla pick out some dresses she liked.

I invited Priscilla and Elvis's cousin, Patsy, to go shopping in California. They flew out to California ready to go shopping! We went into every store that caught our eye, and bought at least one item in every store! I mostly bought new clothing for myself, and some outfits for James and the children, while Priscilla bought lots of make-up and new outfits for herself. Patsy bought some jewelry and new shoes. We had a fun time shopping together, and we enjoyed having some girl time.

While shopping, I saw Madi May, an old family friend of mine. We'd use to play ponies together when we were children. We also took dance together until she decided to quit in 1957 when she was 12 years old and moved to New York. We were surprised when we both saw each other.

"Madi, is that you? It's Lillian!"

"Lillian Preston! It's been 10 years since we last saw each other. I've been reading articles and seeing movies of yours. It may be too late, but congratulations on marrying a handsome, great, guy, and being a mother to 3!"

"Thank you! Madi, this is Priscilla Beaulieu and Patsy Presley. They're close friends of mine."

"Nice to meet you Madi. "

"Nice to meet you both. Patsy, are you related to Elvis Presley? I've seen pictures of Priscilla back in '60 when Elvis left Germany."

"Yes, I am."

"The Presley family have good-looking genes, and you must be blessed. Lilly, you met my husband Dennis on the beach last year. We have a 2-year old son named Troy."

We spent the next 20 minutes talking. Priscilla and Patsy joined joined the conversation. We were all interested to learn that Madi was now a make-up and hair stylist, so Priscilla gave Madi her number in case she was interested to help Priscilla on her wedding day.

In March, Priscilla showed me a design she sketched out of her ideal dress. It looked beautiful, and she got her dress in late-March. It was simple and beautiful in its own way, but Priscilla was concerned that her make-up and hair wouldn't do her justice. It was such shocking thing to say because Priscilla was a natural beauty. One day, she could of not worn any make-up and still look beautiful.

By April, my stomach was extremely large for being 6 months pregnant, and it was very noticeable that I was expecting. I wasn't so sure if I wanted to attend the wedding in May. I called Elvis to express my feelings and opinion about attending his wedding noticeably pregnant.

Me: "Elvis, James and I have been talking and we both think it's best that I don't attend the wedding in May."

Elvis: "Lilly, you have to go. I know you have been waitin' for this for years! I know you're havin' your baby or watermelon in 3 months, but I would love to have you there. Cilla wants you to help her calm down before the wedding. Her mother and lil' sis is coming to the wedding. It's gonna be crazy."

Me: "Ok Elvis, James and I will attend the wedding in Vegas, and also to the gathering in Palm Springs. Lets just hope my children won't cause trouble during the plane ride!"

Elvis: "Haha, just let them be kids on the plane. Besides, you're mother's private jet."

On April 28, James, the children, and I attended the small gathering for the upcoming wedding of Elvis and Priscilla. Elvis' family and Priscilla's family were all there, socializing together and mesmerizing over Priscilla's ring. James spent his time playing football with the kids, while I socialized with Priscilla's parents, Ann & Paul.

We all loved seeing Elvis and Priscilla smiling and happy together, and we couldn't wait for the wedding in a week. Nerves and stress was effecting all of us, but it was normal for a wedding preparation. Especially Elvis and Priscilla's wedding.