Ch. 44: Distant & Unhappy Vibes

"There's only so much a person could do, so much a person could argue and only so much a person could take until they just give up"

-Unknown

After the Easter Party, Elvis and I became distant... again. Our friendship was on a wild rollercoaster, and it was the worst it had ever been in the 16 years we known each other. It seemed as if he cut me out of his life, or the other way around. I felt it was a mutual decision to be distant for some period of time because the year was hectic for both of us.

I recieved a phone call from Priscilla, who was wondering why she hadn't heard from me after the Easter get together. It had already been two weeks since we last spoke or seen each other, and she didn't understand why I was suddenly mute.

Priscilla: "Lilly, it's been two weeks since we last saw each other. Did something happen at the Easter party that I didn't know about?"

Me: "Oh... It's nothing. I've been occupied with the children and spending a lot of time with James."

Priscilla: "Are you sure? When I asked Elvis about you or complimented your marriage with James, he suddenly got very agitated and angry. Lilly, you need to do some explaing! I'm clueless when it comes to you and Elvis because you guys have secrets."

Me: "Let me ask you this... do you ever suspect Elvis has been fooling around with other women during your marriage?"

Priscilla: "I try not to, but I'm always thinking about it constantly. I know Elvis had something with that Thelma gal from the 68' Comeback Special. He hasn't changed his ways fully. I thought after we got married and started a family, he would change his ways. His use of prescription drugs has gotten worse. It use to be that the prescriptions were for the military, then keeping up with his schedule, and now? There are too many pills. There are times where I just want to take Lisa and run."

Me: "A person can only take so much before they explode and can't take it anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if you did decide to walk out on Elvis and called it quits. I didn't know how worse his use of prescription drugs has gotten... His appearance has changed, but I assumed it was because of his age. Anyways, what's new in The Presley Household?"

Priscilla: "Elvis made me begin karate lessons with Mike Stone. I'm still not loving the sport or activity, but it pleases Elvis. My instructor is nice, but I'm still not loving the sport. You should join classes with me?"

Me: "Haha! Maybe, but I never was fascinated with the sport either. Try enjoying it a little bit, ok?"

We both laughed, said goodbye, and hung up the phone. The conversation somewhat unexpectedly put me through an emotional rollercoaster. I went from being angry to even more upset, to being a little happy.

[May] 

May came along, and it was the month filled with an anniversary, birthdays, and baby news. Elvis and Priscilla's 4-year wedding anniverary was on May 1st, and everyone decided to send a gift except for me. I was still holding a grudge for Elvis' decisions, so James called them and wished them a Happy 4-year Anniversary.

I felt like it wasn't worth calling them because I knew their marriage wasn't as happy as people thought it was. I was still deciding to shut Elvis out of my life for a couple of weeks, and a lot of friends and people couldn't believe it. Including my family! During their visit on May 3rd, we had a discussion, and everyone was involved except my children and two of my three half-siblings.

Mother: "How is Elvis and his family? I assume you two are always talking on the phone. Ever since you two met in 1955 in Florida, you have been best friends. I never told you this, but I was concerned that he took a liking to my daughter."