Ch. 8: 1956

*Elizabeth, Emily (@elierle), Leann (@msblueeyes1122), Sloan, Madison, & Molly are mentioned in Ch. 8!*

[1956]

In January 1956, Elvis and I celebrated our birthdays together. I celebrated turning 14, while Elvis celebrated turning 21. There were a lot of people invited to our party and Colonel Tom Parker made it a big deal to celebrate Elvis' special day. It was so busy, I didn't spend a lot of time with my family. I spent most of the week with Elvis. Sloan and Madison got to finally meet Elvis, and they both were in agreement that he was even more handsome in person. I agreed a hundred percent, but he was also very humble and down-to-earth.

Elvis career continued to skyrocket, and it was very quick. I accompanied him to his first national television apperance on CBS' Stage Show on January 28, 1956. He was very nervous, but I assured him he would do great. And he did! Honestly, he was a natural. He performed "I Got A Woman" and a medley of songs. I really enjoyed his performance, and I could tell the crowd did as well. He was so happy about his performance that when he was done, he spun me around and kissed me on the cheek. I must of looked surprised because I was surprised! Elvis realized what he did, and he apologized.

Elvis: "Lilly, I'm so sorry I-"

Me: "It's ok! Really... You're just excited that your first national television apperance went well."

He smiled, and I smiled back at him. That was the first cheek kiss I ever had from another guy. I actually liked it, but I didn't show it.

On every weekend in January, I spent time going to Jacksonville, Florida to rehearse for another dance show that was going to happen in February. Famous actors, actresses, directors, and dancers were attending this dance show. I reunited with Kathleen, Evelyn, Elizabeth, and even my dance teacher from California! Reuniting was sweet, and we were able to catch up on what was going on in our lives. In addition to catching up, I also met Emily and Leann, who were new dancers. They were close friends of Elizabeth's, and the two of them were very nice and pretty. That same day, I found out from my manager that I would be making a brief dance appearance in the film, Rock, Rock, Rock! I was very excited, but like always, all of my projects would be a secret to all of my friends.

In February, I took a month off from school in order to prepare for this big dance show in Jacksonville. I didn't need to tell Sloan and Madison the reason I would have a long absence from school because football season was over. However, James was suspicious after our spanish teacher, Ms. Rios, gave me a lot of homework assignments early. Then, she made him even more suspicious when she said this:

Ms. Rios: "Adios, Lillian! See you in a month."

After class, James stopped me at my locker. He kind of frightened me.

James: "Lilly, where are you off to little missy? I heard Ms. Rios say you'll be gone for a month."

Me: "Uh... No where. "

I was hoping that he would believe me and go away.

James: "You're lying. Come on Lilly, we've known each other since your first day at Humes, and you're my reliable spanish partner. You can trust me."

I was debating on whether or not to tell James. He was the only guy I really trusted, besides Elvis and Jack. But, I didn't want to go against my manager's word. As I was thinking about this, James just stared at me with his bright blue eyes. His eyes put me in deep trance, but I quickly snapped out of it.

Me: "I have a really big dance show, and no one is suppose to know about it. And, I'm going to be making a brief appearance in a film. You better keep this a secret!"

James: "Don't worry darling, your secret is safe with me."

I smiled and rolled my eyes at the same time. I had this love/hate relationship with James calling me darling. I wasn't officially his, but the thought of possibly being his was a nice thought.

I performed in one of the biggest dance shows I've ever been in. It was nerve racking, especially because more than half of the crowd were there to see me, and were watching every move I made. The show was three days before Elvis' concert in Jacksonville, so he expected me to go. LIttle did I know, Elvis surprised me and watched the dance show from a far. He gave me a bouquet of roses, which was really sweet. Three days later, my manager and I attended Elvis' first concert in Jacksonville. Just like always, his performance made the girls swoon over him. After he was done performing, Elvis collapsed from exhaustion and was rushed to a nearby hospital. My manager and I followed behind, and stayed with him for a while. He recovered quickly though.. At the end of February, my mother and Robert found out that they were expecting their first child together. Jack and I were excited! The baby would be due in December.

In June 1956, I finished my freshman year at Humes with all A's. I invited Sloan, Madison, James, Walter, and Molly to my house to Jack's 17th birthday. Walter and Molly are siblings who are friends with both Jack and I. While we were eating, we were watching Elvis' performance on The Milton Berle Show. He performed "Hound Dog" and a new single, "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You" that day. The girls got excited whenever Elvis did his gyrations, while Walter and James were wondering what he was doing.. But they never found it inappropriate. We were all shocked when people were outraged by his performance.

In August, I started my sophomore year at Humes, while Jack started his senior year. I became President of the dance club, while Jack became one of the captains of the Varsity Football team. I was on the cheerleading team again, and became one of the main choreographers along with Sloan. I met Elvis' suntanned girlfriend, June Juanico. She got along with The Presley's and my family. I was one of the few girls she trusted around Elvis.

Elvis began shooting his first film, Love Me Tender. He was so excited, and so was I. His main lady in the film was the beautiful Debra Paget. Love Me Tender opened in theaters in mid-November. Because of his large group of fans, I couldn't see his movie until four days later. Molly and I really enjoyed it, but were bummed his character dies in the end. I met Elvis' friend Judy Spreckels around this time, and she was very nice and easy to get along with.

I began filming my little dance routines in the film Rock, Rock, Rock! in October. On set, I befriended Tuesday Weld, who was only a year younger than me. It was really fun filming my rather long appearance in the film, and it was a good experience. The film came out in December, and was a success. But not as big as the success and blessing my family welcomed.

On December 10, 1956, my mother gave birth to a healthy baby boy named Michael Henry Davis. I remember seeing him for the first time, and he took my breath away. I always wanted a younger sibling, and now it actually happened.