Ch. 40: Confrontation

*Things are about to get ugly and scandalous in this chapter*

"It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get."

-Confucius

1970 was such a happy year filled with surprises. There were no bad vibes between anyone, and there were no scandalous events or topics brought up from close friends or from the press. But, I thought about it too soon.

On August 14th, Elvis was unexpectedly hit with a paternity suit. I was speechless! Elvis called me right away as he recieved this news. He needed my advice about this.

Elvis: "Lilly, I need your opinion and advice for this crazy situation. Damn, I'm scared that the fans won't like me anymore."

Me: "Elvis, I'm an emotional wreck right now. I'm worried, shocked, angry, and sad about this! Are the fans the only thing you're scared of losing? What about your wife and daughter?"

Elvis: "Of course I'm scared of losing them."

Me: "I told you to stop messing around with other women! I wasn't too harsh when you and Ann Margret were together for a bit... You weren't a married man and a father! The situation is different now. You gotta hire a private investigator and make sure they look into this real good. Did you meet this lady?"

Elvis: "Backstage at one of my concerts... We took a picture together, and I know it ain't my baby. I'm gonna counter sue that bitch when this is all figured out."

Me: "You better get your act together, Elvis. I'm tired of your multiple relationships with girls. That reminds me, did you and Thelma have an affair?"

Elvis: "I thought she was cute.. b-but that was it."

Me: "Elvis Aaron Presley, don't you dare lie to me! Tell me if you did or did not have an affair with Thelma, or I'll make Thelma tell me about it. She can't keep her mouth shut if I'm in an angry mood, just like I am now. "

Elvis: "Alright then! Yes, I had a brief affair with Thelma. There, I said it."

I let out a huge sigh and hung up the phone. I felt like throwing it across the room, and screaming off the top of my lungs to let out my frustration. When I turned around, James was staring at me with a curious, shocked, face. All I could say at the moment was, "Elvis. Paternity suit. I'm mad. Need to scream in a pillow." He slowly nodded and I stormed upstairs.

I was receiving multiple phone calls from people, according to James. Elvis called twice, Priscilla called once, and Elvis had members of his Memphis Mafia call and try to reach me. I didn't want to talk to Elvis or anyone close to him.

Later that night, Joe Esposito called me and informed me that  Elvis attempted damage control during his concert. He and Priscilla would have a difficult conversation when she got a hold of him. I was silent most of the phone conversation, while Joe revealed what Elvis had said and done. 

The next morning, I decided to give Priscilla a call after I cooled down from the whole situation. I knew she needed someone to talk to after this situation was now public. 

Priscilla: "I tried calling you yesterday. What happened?!" 

Me: "I was so frustrated and upset yesterday that I didn't want to talk to anyone, not even Elvis or family members. James gave me my space, and took all of the phone calls. He got upset as well." 

Priscilla: "I'm sorry about that."  

Me: "It wasn't you. Elvis and the guys kept calling me. I was upset with Elvis, and I didn't  care if he or the guys called me. Anyways, how are you holding up?" 

Priscilla: "I was devastated. Deep in my heart, I believe the child isn't his and that tramp is lying. But at the same time, Elvis' past crept into my mind again."

Me: "He told me to calm down yesterday, and I listed all the situations I had to keep myself cool and not burn up in flames." 

Priscilla: "Ann was the only situation, though.." 

Me: "Not even! Look, if you were in my shoes, you would understand why I'm this stressed and frustrated with Elvis."

Priscilla and I talked for two hours, and we helped each other  out with our problems. Priscilla understood why I was upset, while I helped her with her worries and advice. I suggested that she had a talk with Elvis, while I let them deal with their problems. I already dealt with so much of Elvis' problems, and I didn't enjoy it anymore. 

On August 26th, I decided to attend Elvis' concert with my daughter, Rita. When I was backstage, things were not the same. I was mostly talking with Elvis' female back-up singers, The Sweet Inspirations. Joe tells me that I should stay backstage tonight, because the hotel recieved a call that a kidnapping attempt will be made on Elvis tonight. I became worried for Elvis, but I stayed put backstage. 

Elvis and the Memphis Mafia made sure there were enough security in the audience and backstage. In the last ten minutes of the concert, it seems like the alleged kidnapping wasn't going to happen, so Rita and I saw the rest of the concert. She enjoyed it very much, and Elvis waved at her on stage. 

In two days, Elvis would be threatened with an attempt on his life at one of his shows. Things were getting ugly and dangerous for Elvis. I prayed for his safety, and for everyone's safety. Everyone wondered who would want to kill Elvis, but all we could think of were husbands of women who loved Elvis more  than them. It was terrifying to think of it though. 

In October, things simmered down between everyone. Elvis and Priscilla seemed fine, while I began to talk to Elvis more. There were some things that needed to be discussed between Elvis, Priscilla, and I. 

Me: "Elvis, there's something I have to know... something Cilla has to know as well."

Elvis: "What is it?" 

Me: "Are you going to contact Patricia Parker and stay in contact with the unborn child if it's yours?" 

Elvis: "I'm not going to stay in contact with that whore because the child isn't mine! Even if it was mine, I wouldn't stay in contact with them. I have my own priorities." 

Elvis did counter sue Patricia Parker, just as planned. He wanted all of the fuss behind him, and I'm sure everyone wanted it to be over. Parker gave birth to a son named Jason Peter Presley, but it didn't matter to anyone but her. Elvis and Priscilla sketched out a design, which was eventually made into TCB necklaces with a lightning bolt. It was something to make husband and wife bond somehow. 

On December 19th, Priscilla called me, telling me that Elvis disappeared. 

Priscilla: "Lilly, Elvis has disappeared."

Me: "What do you mean he disappeared? I don't understand."

Priscilla: "After everyone reacted how Elvis lavishes himself and friends with expensive gifts, Elvis got a bit upset. Then, he just left. I've been trying to contact the Mafia if they know where he is, but they're either not talking or don't know." 

Me: "I'll call Joe, Jerry, and Sonny. They most likely know where he's at." 

I immediately called Joe, Jerry, and Sonny. Joe and Sonny said they didn't know where he was, but I could tell they were lying. Jerry told me that Elvis flew to L.A and met with him. Great, he's in California. Jerry informed me that Elvis wanted to hideaway at my house, and I simply laughed at that idea.

Me: "Jerry, tell Elvis that I'm very frustrated with him at the moment, and if he shows up at my house, he will not be welcomed in. In fact, the dogs will guard the house. Lastly, tell him that if he doesn't call his family to tell them he's okay, I will find him and our friendship will be at risk if I do." 

Jerry: "Man, he's not gonna like this message I'm passin' on. Alright Lilly, I'll tell him this, and I'll let you know if he tells me anything specific." 

In fact, Sonny West called the family in Memphis to inform them that Elvis was fine, but didn't reveal anything else. I guess my message was passed to Elvis, and he took action. 

Confrontation. It can be harsh, bitter, and filled with too many emotions.