Ch. 20: Choices, Choices

James and I spent most of the remaining months of 1961 being parents to our son. James began training for the new football season in June, while did a few television interviews. Everyone was wondering how James and I kept the pregnancy a secret, and the well-being of our child.

New Year's was spent at home with family and a couple friends. William was now 7-months. We decided to watch the fireworks inside of the house so he wouldn't get scared. Surprisingly, he enjoyed seeing the fireworks.

1962 came along, and I celebrated my 20th birthday in California with James and William. William was exactly eight months old on January 8th. Elvis invited me to celebrate with him in Vegas, but I wanted to spend my birthday with my husband and son. Elvis was somewhat distraught with me declining his invitation, but he lightened up and told me to enjoy my birthday with my boys.

Things weren't the same in friendship Elvis and I had. The long phone conversations were cut short when I had to care for William, and I was more focused on my family. Elvis was busy with his movies and I was busy with motherhood. But, it was nice that Elvis wanted to be involved in William's life somehow. He would often call to see how William was doing, and sent little gifts for James, William, and I.

On March 5, 1962, James proposed to Madison. I was excited for the two to get married! My best friend was to marry my stepbrother. March was to be a busy month. Elvis and The Colonel asked me to choreograph dance numbers and arrange costumes for his latest film, Girls! Girls! Girls! . I headed to Hawaii with James and William, and went to work! I choreographed a dance number that involved 30 dancers. The director decided to put me as one of the dancers as well! But when I was taking a break, Elvis, James, and I took William to the beach and we all had lots of fun.

Elvis took me out for lunch and wanted to talk to me about a serious matter; girls.

"E, tell me something. How many girlfriends do you have?"

"I- I have one."

"Come on, Elvis. I know you're lying. Describe your relationship with Gabby and Priscilla."

"Cilla reminds me so much of my mama. She's beautiful and perfect. I liked her company in Germany, but I ain't sure about it. I was thinkin' about spendin' time with her soon. Gabby reminds me of Cilla, and she's just a doll. Young, thriving, and caring. Maybe that's why I'm interested in her."

"Elvis, what about Erin? You guys have been together for five years! Don't you think it's time to settle down with Erin?"

"Colonel won't let me. He says I'm in my prime. I'm not gettin' married anytime soon. Mama adored and loved Erin, and wanted us to get married and have a family on our own. However, I think marriage isn't my thing."

"Elvis, I want you to do the right thing. You know your mama would want that, and she made me promise to keep an eye on you."

"I know, I know."

On May 8th, 1962, William celebrated his first birthday in Hawaii, and he enjoyed it! Elvis bought a huge, white and blue cake for him, and helped us plan his party. It was quite an extravegant birthday in paradise! James and I invited our families and a couple of close friends, and they brought a bunch of gifts. William's favorite gift was a puppy named Gitmo, given by Cheyenne.

Filming for Girls! Girls! Girls! was wrapped up in June, and my family and I headed home. I was hoping that Elvis would make the right decision and pick the girl he loved the most. But, that wasn't the case. On June 17th, Elvis informed me that he was spending time with Priscilla. They were planning to go to Vegas with the guys. All three of his girlfriends were in the states, and as soon as I got home, Gabby and Erin each individually called me.

"Hi, I'm looking for Lillian Preston. This is Gabby."

"Hi Gabby, this is Lillian. How are you?"

"I'm doing fine. I hope I'm not bothering you. I've been trying to call Elvis at Graceland, but can't get a hold of him. I think his girlfriend is home; a young woman keeps answering."

"Erin is most likely home at Graceland. Elvis isn't in Memphis, he's.. working."

"I don't know why I'm in a relationship with Elvis while he already has a girlfriend. I'm just the other woman. I don't understand why he's still with his girlfriend! I've been thinking of ending it, but being with Elvis is so mesmerizing, and everything about him makes me fall for him even more. You know what I mean.."

"I don't know exactly what you mean, but Elvis is a fantastic guy. He's talented, handsome, caring. I'm glad we're very good friends."

"The thing is, Elvis asked me to move into Graceland with him, and my mother and I were up for it. But my father didn't allow it. This made both my father and Elvis upset for different reasons. Since then, we haven't spoken. I think it's over, and I'm stressed out."

"Well, Elvis needs a cooling period. If you're stressed out with this whole secret relationship, breaking up would maybe be easier. Give Elvis and Erin time to figure out their relationship. They'll decide if they will stay together, or break-up."

"You're right. Thank you Lilly... Can you tell Elvis that I enjoyed the time we had together, and will cherish it forever?"

"I will.. Bye Gabby."

I just had a conversation with someone I barely knew, but completely understood her reasoning. I saw the side of the other woman, and now, I was going to see the side of the main woman in Elvis's life; Erin.

"Hi Lilly, this is Erin. I hope you're not busy with your adorable son at the moment."

"Not at all, Erin. William is asleep at the moment. Can I help you with anything?"

"I'm just alone at Graceland. It gets really lonely here, and I needed someone to talk to."

Erin and I talked for an hour and a half before William woke up. Erin knew something was going on with Priscilla, but was uncertain about Gabby. She shared that she wanted to leave Elvis, but it was already too far into their relationship. They had already talked about marriage and parenthood. It was difficult, and I felt sorry for her.

In July, I found out that I was expecting my second child. James and I were so excited that William was going to have a playmate! Everyone was excited as well, and we couldn't wait to welcome the little one.

In August, Erin's suspicion of Elvis's relationships wad answered when she heard Elvis telling Vernon that he couldn't pick between Erin and Priscilla. She packed her things, and left to her hometown. Their paths never crossed again. Elvis lost a lovely lady.

Elvis was planning to call Gabby, but I broke the news to him that she wanted out of the relationship. Elvis's only choice was now bunked to one; Priscilla.

Priscilla spent the holidays with Elvis and his family. Elvis invited me, James, William, to Memphis, but I was 8-months pregnant, and almost ready to pop. I wanted to go so I could welcome Priscilla, but ever since the incident with Erin and Gabby, it didn't feel right.