Ch. 45: Picking Up All The Pieces

*Lillian settles Priscilla and Lisa in their penthouse apartment. Lilly will fly to Memphis for emotional support for Elvis.*

A new year came along and with a divorce planning to be processed, it wasn't a smooth or happy transition for Elvis. I didn't know how much damage this caused Elvis emotionally and physically, but I worried very much. I wanted to take the next flight to Memphis, but I promised him that I would help Priscilla and Lisa settle in their new place. 

Priscilla and Lisa arrived in California on January 4th. I thought it would take Priscilla a longer time to pack everything she had at Graceland along with some of Lisa's belongings, but Priscilla insisted she spent day and night packing. We tried having a normal conversation as if nothing happened, but it was somewhat impossible to. 

Priscilla:  
"I packed all day and night in order to be out of the mansion before Elvis' birthday. It would be awkward if I stayed longer. 

Me: "Would it be awkward? I don't know about that, Cilla.." 

Priscilla: "You know how Elvis is... he would probably ask about Mike and ask me to stay. Anyways, thank you so much for making sure the new furniture was moved into the penthouse just in time. Lisa and I appreciate very much, and so does Elvis."  

Me: "No problem. You know that I'm always here for you guys." 

Priscilla smiled. Althought things seemed very awkard and out of place because of the situation, things were still fine. Priscilla and I were still friends, and that was all that mattered. However, speaking about her new boyfriend to her soon to be ex-husband's best friend was little too much for me at the moment. 

[January 8th, 1972]

I flew to Memphis with my twins to see how Elvis was doing and to celebrate our birthday together. James insisted that I flew to Memphis with our youngest children to help cheer up Elvis and see how things were. 

When we arrived in Memphis, I called Elvis to let him know that I landed safely. I forgot that he usually slept in until the afternoon, but I didn't catch my mistake until Vernon answered the phone.

Me: 
"Hi Vernon, it's Lilly. Can you let Elvis know that we landed safely? He was worrying all night that the twins and I wouldn't be safe." 

Vernon: "Alright Lilly, but Elvis won't wake up for another couple of hours... You would think he's gonna wake up for a birthday breakfast, I don't count on it. Plus, he's been takin' the pills to help him go to sleep."

Me: "I forgot that Elvis always sleeps late. Those pills can be dangerous, Vernon. The amount he takes each day can limit his life span you know." 

Vernon: "Try talkin' to him when you get here. I'll call you when he wakes up so you can come to the house with the twins."

Elvis' use of prescription drugs scared me, knowing that taking too much can damage your body and can even lead to death. However, since he had all the guys around him and a doctor, the worried feeling stopped. 

Elvis finally woke up at noon and told me to head to Graceland around 1 o'clock to have brunch with him, family members, and friends. He joked that I wouldn't be able to get into the gates.

Elvis: 
"Good luck on tryna get throught that gates, Lilly. It ain't happenin'." 

Me: "Why won't I be able to get into the gates, Elvis?"