Chapter 1

December 2013

Liam's P.O.V.

I shoved my hands deeper in my coat as I walked down the streets of London. The cold December air stung my face and shaved head as I walked. I didn't know what to do with my nights anymore. I used to call Dani and talk to her...but that wasn't an option anymore.

The familiar pinch behind my eyes came as I recalled the painful day when she'd called off the relationship.

"Liam seriously, I just can't anymore," she said as tears streamed down both of our faces.

"Dani we can do this," I begged. "Look at the rest of them. El and Louis, Claire and Harry, Niall and Danielle, Zayn and Delia. They've made it even when they thought it was impossible."

"Here's the difference Liam," she said. "In our relationship, we're both gone all the time doing things for our careers. We can't even find time for a phone call. It's texting and Tweeting. What kind of relationship is that?"

"Dani please don't do this," I whispered taking her hands. "I can't let you leave me."

She pulled her hands from mine and stood up. "You have to. I have to. We have to be done. I can't do this anymore."

She walked to the door and I got up and followed her. She opened the door and looked at me.

"Please," I said one last time.

She shook her head and kissed my cheek before whispering, "Good-bye Liam," and walking out the door.

I had finally understood how Zayn had felt when his relationship with Perrie had been cut. They'd had what Dani and I had had. But in this case, I wasn't sure I was going to find someone I loved as much, or more than I loved Dani the way Zayn had found Delia. And it was also now that I understood how Zayn had felt awkwardly sitting out when all of them were with their significant other. It had been that way for him before Perrie when I still had Dani and it was that way now after he found Delia and I didn't have Dani anymore. I missed her more and more every day.

I saw a shadow flash by on the sidewalk in front of me and I looked up to see a dance studio in front of me. A couple was whirling around, dancing on the second floor. Dancing. It brought back memories of Dani when she would teach me different moves. She'd never taught me ballroom though and that was something that had always interested me slightly. No this was silly. When was I ever going to use ballroom dancing in my life, I mean really, I was Liam Payne for crying out loud. I was part of One Direction.

Even so, I found myself walking through the door and up to the second floor to see what life at a ballroom studio was like.

I opened the door and the first thing I heard was a feminine voice saying, "And 5,6,7,8. Got it?"

I saw the class nod as I shut the door with a click.

Everyone's head snapped toward me as the feminine voice said, "Can I help you?"

"Uh," I began.

"Well come on boy spit it out," she said.

"Who do I talk to about beginner lessons?" I asked. If the boys saw me now, they'd probably be laughing their heads off at the fact Liam was asking about dancing lessons.

"That would be me and you came at exactly the right time," she said. "Class starts at 8. Every week. Take your jacket off and take your place. What's your name?"