New York Rendezvous

Bose's p.o.v

I wanted to take Mika out on a date because truthfully, we haven't gone on one in months. We barely had any time to breathe last year because Schwoz was tutoring us back at SWAG to make sure we were eligible to go to real school and this year wasn't much different because at first, it was hard to keep up when we enrolled, everything was moving so fast. We had also been working like crazy trying to choose and get into colleges. If you ask me, the application process was a lot more complicated than it should have been. Then spring break came around and we both had plans with our families.

The elevator doors opened and right across from mine was Mika who was also exiting out of her elevator with the little backpack that matched her outfit. "Ready?" I reached my hand out for her take. She nodded and gladly took it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Mika's p.o.v

We grasped our time walking around the city at night appreciating the beauty of it until finally, we arrived at the small bakery I was telling Bose about. I was a sucker for donuts and according to my Mom; when she had come here, this place had the greatest donuts she had ever had. "Come on! come on!" I bellowed grabbing his arm and bringing us in.

I pushed the door open and a little bell went off. It smelled amazing in here. We looked at the displays and I could see the delight on Bose's cute little face. We looked around some more to see what else we had wanted to try.

"I still find it hard to believe we haven't found our song yet", I start to conversate. "Maybe we just have to let it happen you know, like let the song choose us," I went on. Bose handed me my donut, taking his dessert, and thanking the employee. "Could be, but I'm not in a rush, we still have 4 more years of college together to figure it out," He responded heading to our table.

When he walked away I stood there thinking about what he said. We in fact did not have 4 years of college together. There was that feeling again, that hurt I kept trying to ignore. The longer I avoided telling him the happier he got. I was starting to realize that the hurt I was feeling wasn't for me.  It was the hurt I was trying to protect Bose from feeling. He didn't deserve to keep on being lied to. I had to tell him. I had to tell him right now. Hiding the truth wasn't going to make it go away.

I shut my eyes, exhaled, and went to go sit with him. He took a bit of his donut and I sat down across from him hanging my tiny backpack behind my chair. It was now or never. I faced him but then looked down at the table to try and prepare myself as Bose munched on his food. I felt a little nauseous again but I quickly pushed it down, unfortunately, that didn't stop the panic attack I felt like I have was gonna have.

I lifted my head evening out my breathing.

"I didn't get into Berkeley," I confessed. I looked back down and closed my eyes waiting for all hell to break loose. I didn't hear Bose say anything but I could feel him looking at me.

"Say that again?" He questioned puzzled from what he had heard.

"Um....so you see. That text I sent you wasn't for you. It was for Kimmy about something else," I admitted. When truth had finally come out I was pulled out of that bubble of lies I had conjured up. This was real and I felt awful.

"Okay i know it takes me some time to catch on to stuff but I really don't understand what your trying to say," Bose pushed his plate away.

"We aren't going to college together, Bose. Berkeley rejected me," I explained. Bose looked at the table to wrap his head around this. "But it's okay because Montclair accepted me and I know it's not what we planned for but it's not that far away from Berkeley just a couple of hours maybe a day but I could finally get my license so i could come to see you and it won't be the same but we can spend-"  "Stop, stop, stop," i was ranting trying to make it better but Bose was trying to cut me off

"- we can spend weekends together, that isn't so bad," I tried to go on.

"Mika, just stop," he urged. 

I study his expression to see if I could read his mind or at least find out what he was feeling, anything. It seemed like he was doing the same for me. I was scared of what he might say next. He looked calm and confused and very upset. He had never been one to show when he was unhappy but he had every right to right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he got up and left me or even started yelling. Tears threatened to spill out of my eyes thinking about him yelling at me for the first time.

"Are you okay?" He asked instead. I was taken back by that response. I should have been asking him that. I owed him a huge apology.

"I'm really sorry, I should have told you the truth but you were just so excited and I wanted things to work for us-" I tried to apologize but he stopped me again.

"Hey. Stop. You don't need to apologize, this wasn't your fault," He assured me. I was at a loss for words. He was supposed to be mad at me but instead, he was worried about my feelings and how this was affecting me. Why was he doing that?

Bose's p.o.v

I was trying to be understanding. When Mika had told me she hadn't gotten into Berkeley i honestly didn't know what to say. What could I have said? I suddenly felt alone even though she was right there. It was reality hitting me that she wasn't going to be 'right there' for long. But I could tell this was really hard on her. She really wanted to get in. This was bullshit, if either of us should have gotten in it should have been her. 

"This is so unfair, your like way smarter than me," I half-joked with her. I saw a grin appear on her face and I started chuckling a little to comfort her. "Yeah!- i mean not 'yeah' but you deserved it. You worked so hard to make this happen for yourself," She proudly gave me a small smile.

"Of course, totally," I responded, "but still, we're not going to the same college," I added. The issue itself couldn't be ignored. Silence fell upon us. I was thinking about walking straight up to the headmaster of Berkeley and giving them a piece of my mind or even preparing a lengthy presentation as to why Mika should have gotten accepted. And if they didn't take her now they could still do it next year.

That's when an idea sparked into my head. They could still do it next year. "If you can't go this year, then why don't you just transfer your second year," I mentioned. It wasn't a part of our plan but it would be the closest thing we could get. 

"Well because-" Mika was saying and then stopped to think about it. 

"Wait, you think we could do that? Why didn't I think of that?" She asked herself. This wasn't over, we could make this work. 

"I do, I think we can do it. Weekends are my favorite day to see you anyways," I winked, "We can do it, I believe we can," I assured. 

"Okay, then that's what we'll do," Mika nodded putting a genuine smile on her face. She looked like she could finally breathe like she had been the most relieved person to ever exist. Problem solved! I was a genius! I should have earned some type of metal for this. This little mishap wasn't going to ruin us. 

"We got this," I claimed, taking her hand in mine.

"We got this," Mika repeated.

I gave her a simple smile to try to be strong for her on but on the inside I was pretty devastated.