Graduation

Bose's p.o.v

My alarm went off and I moaned tiredly under my blanket. I reached my hand out and tried to find my phone in the mess I had on top of my nightstand. I opened my eyes and exhaled. I lifted the blanket off of me and brought the screen to my face. I tapped the nonfiction, "It's graduation day!" The voice lady cheered. I huffed and put my phone down. I brought my hands up to my face and started stretching it to wake me up. Has it been a week since Prom already? I was about to throw the cover back over my head but my Mom and Willard burst through my door.

"It's graduation day!" They sang. "I know," I shrugged. "Then why are you still laying around kiddo! hurry up and get dressed we're taking you out for breakfast," Willard announced. I checked the time, graduation was 2 hours from now.  A loud noise was heard from downstairs and a cat screech. "Meatball!" My mom yelled leaving my room. I never liked that cat, it was always judging me. I noticed that Willard was still in my room, he looked like he wanted to say something but then decided not to. "See you out there," He hesitantly left.

It was a new day yet everything felt like it was ending. I've been waiting for this day since forever and I always pictured myself being on the moon about it. But now the day was here I was just ...blah. Maybe it was because it was still early. I'm sure I'll feel better about it once I get dressed. I threw the blanket off of me and got out of bed. I knocked something over from my dresser by accident and picked it up. It was a picture of Mika and I at the beach last summer. I stared at it longer than I wanted to. These last couple of days had been very brutal. I couldn't look at the picture any longer so I opened my dresser and tossed it in. Like i had done with every memory of her so far.

No matter how hard i wanted to try, I couldn't erase her.

Mika's p.o.v

"No that's my tassel!" Miles argued with me. "No, it's mine! Yours is in your pocket," I dug into his gown and pulled it out. "Oh, my bad," He brushed my shoulder. My Dad closed the car door and my mom waved around the parking lot to other parents who were taking pictures with their kids wearing their caps and gowns. A sea of red and white colors took over the entire parking lot, girls wore white and boys wore red. It was traditional for the Swellview badgers to separate the colors but if anyone didn't feel comfortable with it they were free to decide between the two which color they wanted.

 "Graduation day," I breathe.

"180 days," I heard Chapa cheer before she put her arms around me. I was almost startled because i didn't notice her. I happily sighed this time and lightly bumped my head into hers,"We did it". I waved at Chapa's parents who were having a conversation with mines on the other side.

"Look!" Miles pointed at Ray and Schwoz standing by Ray's expensive car arguing about something. I squealed happy to see them, i was glad they could make it. This day wouldn't have been as special. But then my eyes sidetracked and i saw another car door opening, Bose stepped out. The smile on my face simmered down as my eyes became stuck to him. Chapa beside me gave my shoulder a tight squeeze noticing him as well. We caught Bose's attention, his and i's stares lingered.

 I haven't talked to him since Prom. Since he ended things. I would see him in the hallways, in class, in the lunchroom and it was the same thing every day. I was being ignored, not that i made any attempts to reach out. I was too humiliated. After a moment he gave us a small head nodded and focused on fixing his cap. I could feel Chapa staring at me, "We can get pancakes after," She tried to make me feel better. 

I had the urge to sob that pancakes were his favorite. 

Bose's p.o.v

I clapped again once another student was called to walk across the stage. I didn't realize how many kids last names started with a K. "Natalie Mazdah," They called. Nathalie strutted down the stage like it was a runway and i clapped my very hardest and hollered for her.

"Danny Miller," i heard them say, "Miles Macklin,".

 I practically jumped out of my seat when they called my best friend. "I know him!" i hollered and i could hear his family erupt right along with me. Miles gave a peace sign then dipped off stage. The girl next to me, Jenny,  glared at me because it turned out i had hit her in the face when i had gotten up. I offered her an apologetic smile and sat back down.

"Mika Macklin," This caused another eruption of cheers especially from Chapa who shouted, "That's my girl!".

My girl.

 I clapped for Mika as well, she deserved that much respect from me. I know she's always dreamed of this day. Funny how i thought a couple of weeks ago i would be running to the front to scream my head off about how happy i was for her. I still was, but it wasn't the same. I thought ending things would make the pain stop a lot quicker before it actually happened but this felt 10 times worse.

Mika's p.o.v

I returned to my seat being careful not to step on anyone's toes. I sat down and another name was called, " Bose O'Brien,". I tried to be supportive when they called his name but it was harder than i thought. I wanted to cry because i was proud of him and also because i missed him like hell.

It was only going to get harder from here on out. No matter how badly i wanted to make up with him, i was too afraid to talk to him again.  I would be too busy weeping to get a word out. Besides, i would only hurt him again because i was going to NYU whether he supported me or not.

I love Bose but i also can't forget who i am because of him. That's what i learned was the hardest part of loving somebody. 

But he'll come back. He has to. Everything we've worked for in our relationship wouldn't be tarnished to flames. 

I was leaving for NYU at the end of the summer. There was still time to work things out. Besides we had the award ceremony still. He would for sure talk to me then.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bose's p.o.v

I didn't talk to Mika at the award ceremony, not even to congratulate her or tell her how beautiful i thought she looked. I'm an idiot but not stupid. She most likely hated me and never wanted to speak to me again. I missed her but i think it would be best for both of us if we stayed apart. I was cursed, which meant I was going to end up losing anyone who I for a second thought was going to be there till the end. 

The day after the ceremony i laid in bed still depressed. Some days were worse than others. This was one of those days. That feeling of not being enough was pounding through my veins. Why wasn't I enough to make her want to stay with me? 

I got the energy to move my head to look around my room, the room that would soon be empty by the end of the summer. I haven't started packing for Berkeley yet because it still felt too soon. The curtains were down because I didn't want to see the dumb sun being all happy and rubbing it in my face. Mika would have loved a day like this. I sighed I grabbed my headphones, plugged them into my ear, and connected it to my phone. When the music started playing I closed my eyes and Deja vu overcame me.

I was like this, in the same position, but the curtains were tied back and Mika was lying her head on my chest sharing the other side of my headpiece. 'We'll always have this,' she said and snuggled closer to me. 

Mika's p.o.v

2 weeks without Bose. I didn't have any control over it so i never knew when i would just randomly start crying at the thought of him. This 'random' time happened to be me cleaning out underneath my bed. I wanted to make sure that when i left for college i didn't leave anything that might have been of importance behind. I pulled out a box that was apparently marked with a sharpie but it was smudged off. I opened the box to see what was inside and i felt mellow. It was the old bedtime stories my Mom use to read to me before bed. 

In all these books, the princess always ended up living happily ever after with her prince in their magical sugar castle. Turns out that only happened in fiction.