No Power Over Us

Mika's p.o.v

I had to tell Bose i was going to NYU. I wanted to go the moment i stepped foot on campus. The only thing stopping me was picturing Bose's reaction. I sat next to him at our favorite diner as he stuffed his face with pancakes. This was harder than telling him about Berkeley. My nerves were at an all-time high and small goosebumps covered my arms. 

"Do you want more butter?" I asked. 

"No I'm fine," He said swallowing his food. 

"How about some chocolate chips?" I asked again.

"No it's okay," He smiled at me putting more food in his mouth.

"Strawberries? You need more," I claimed, stopping the waiter to ask for more.

I just wanted him to be in the best mood as possible when I broke the news to him. Also, this was the only way I could stall myself. The waiter brought over some strawberries and Bose took them from her. Here's my moment, just rip it off like a band-aid. You can do this Mika. 

"I was thinking about giving NYU a chance," I admitted and immediately shut my lips. I didn't think I'd actually get words out, but boy did it feel good. I held my breath waiting for him to reply. He swallowed another bit and slowly put his fork down. "What do you mean by giving it a chance?" He wiped his hands even though they weren't dirty.

"I wanna go to NYU," I confessed. Bose pushed his plate away quietly so i gave him some time to try and process the news. He hasn't said anything yet but my stomach was still in whirls. He still didn't speak and now I was chewing on my lower lip. It was this habit i never quite got over when i was feeling distressed. "Say something, anything," I begged.

Bose's p.o.v

"I know I'm not good with words and this all out of the blue...." I spoke. This was not out of the blue. I had a feeling she wanted to go by the way she's been acting. Another huge hint is when i was in her room a couple of nights ago i saw her desk piled with all sort of stuff about NYU. I was hoping if I ignored it, it would go away. It's what Ray use to do with us so i figured I'd give it a try. She nodded understanding.  

"I know it's not what we had in mind but i can't stop thinking about it. I can't stop thinking about what'd be missing if i didn't go. NYU could really help push my writing and-" She stopped to take a breathe,

"And i feel like it's the place i need to be," she confessed rubbing her arm.

I've imagined her telling me she wanted to go to NYU and how i'd handle it but it was never this hard.

"But...isn't NYU like, far, like very distant, like...the earth from Venus far," I put forward. 8,000 miles far. I researched it myself when i was alone because it was driving me crazy not knowing how far away she'd be if she did decide to go. 

"It is pretty far, however, i think I'd be happy there. We would still call each other all the time and sure we won't be able to see each other for maybe...months, but we could work something out," She assured. I wanted to ask how many months we were probably talking about.

Then i remembered something that made this situation a lot less painful for me. "I'm happy for you Mika, i am," i stated. "You are?!" She exhaled the breath she was holding in. She held her face up to me and smiled still uncertain. "Yes, this would be good for you. Besides, it's only a year. We could get through it," i reminded cuffing her face with one of my hands. It really shouldn't matter that she would be so far away because she would still spend the next 3 years with me at Berkeley. 

It was almost like when i said that i felt her tense up again and she looked away from me, "Yeah, totally! I'm transferring to Berkeley after just a year at NYU," She removed my hand from her face and gave me an awkward smile.