Daydreams

Mika' p.o.v

Around six p.m I start making the chocolate layers for my cupcake decors. My Aunt's wedding anniversary was getting closer day by day. I also had to figure out what cute original stuff I was gonna write on them. I took the melted chocolate off the stove and put it aside to let it cool for a few. I wiped my hands on my apron and opened the draws to retrieve the icing knife. I heard the front door opened and shut then footsteps coming to the kitchen. "Whatcha doing?" I heard Kimmy's voice say taking a seat at the kitchen island. She practically lived next door so this wasn't anything unusual.

"I'm trying to come up with the perfect chocolate drizzle for the anniversary cupcakes," I answered still working. "Ouuuu," she sang before trying to dip her finger in the melted chocolate but I slapped it away. Miles walked into the kitchen grabbing an apple from the table. "Sister, Blondie," He greeted. Kimmy smiled acknowledging him. Miles dropped some papers on the counter next to me. He must have gotten the mail on his way.

He and Kimmy started discussing the award ceremony we were supposed to have a few days after graduation. It would have been before but they were on a tight schedule and the school couldn't find a day during the school year for it to take place. It didn't really matter actually because school would have still been in session for the rest of the students. Seniors ended earlier.

 I turned around to find the baking sheets but something in the mail caught my attention. I picked up a pamphlet and looked at the purple cover, on the bottom left was written NYU. NYU? I turned around and showed the pamphlet to them. "Kimmy, why is NYU sending me stuff?" I asked. She still had the password to my college applications and was supposed to alert me when I got any news, not that i had expected anymore. 

"Oh yeah, you got into NYU,"  She casually announced. I got in? To NYU? 

No fricking way.

"Why didn't you say anything?!" I questioned putting my utensils down.

"Because you already decided on Montclair," Kimmy shrugged. Just then her phone went off and she checks it. "Mom wants me home for dinner," She said turning her off her phone and putting it in the pocket of her skirt. "But see ya, Montclair buddy," She weirdly winked and started heading toward the door. I shook my head and looked back down the mail. They had sent me tons of stuff. I glanced back up and saw Miles playfully wiggling his eyebrows at me. "You got into NYU! Um, when do I call the party bus?!" He applauded. I looked back down trying to contain a smile. Yeah, I did, didn't I. "It's whatever," I played off but on the inside, I was bursting with joy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I sat in bed that night with all my NYU stuff spread out. From magazines to brochures and at the very front my acceptance letter. I looked at everything trying to decide what to open first.  I was happy, very happy. I tapped my fingers against my thighs enjoying this warm feeling.  My phone buzzed and I looked to see what it was. The grin on my face disappeared when I saw it was Bose.  He texted 'Hey' with a heart. I groaned i wasn't so sure i wanted to hear from him at this exact moment. I picked up the phone thinking of a reply. I fixed my posture and texted back.

M: I got into NYU!

I put my phone down and waited for a reply. It went off almost immediately and I took hold of my phone again.

B: Congrats! You got into 2 out of 3 and my calculation says that would have been better than 1 out of 3 *party hat emoji*

I truthfully smiled at his response. I held my phone to my chest. He was happy for me.

"You wanna know what I think is the best part about you going to Montclair," Daydream Bose said sitting next to me. Why did he have to be back? Once again my smile vanished.

"You and I still get to see each other on weekends and maybe even during the weekdays. When we meet up it'll be downtown, where the street lights and fast cars always conjoined together perfectly," He claimed. 

The feeling of being back on the rooftop in New York came back to me as he spoke.

"We'll love San Diego. The mean streets are insane because the billboards actually talk back to you! I heard they're known for their pastries. More and more donuts for you to try. We'll hold hands while it's raining and no matter how soaked we get it wouldn't matter because you always loved city romances. We'd have our own. Just you and me." He went on. 

All that he was saying was great really, but i couldn't shake the feeling that something was missing. "Mika?" He questioned.  I didn't pay him any mind. 

"Are you listening to me?"

Bose's p.o.v

"Mika?," I asked again. She jumped a little but turned her focus to me. She was zoned out. I wouldn't understand how in this busy cafeteria.  "Are you listening to me?" I asked.

"I was just telling you about this cool movie theater they just opened up in San Diego," I explained. "Oh, right, yeah I'd love to go," She responded. I was about to ask if everything was okay again because she wasn't as energetic with me at lunch today but the bell rang. I helped her up and we started walking over to the trash shelves to throw our lunch away. "I was thinking, San Diego does rank in Rom-com and movies but it isn't as high. Usually, the sad breakup ranks are where they start to pile up. Nothing really solid ever happens there," Mika pointed out.

"New York is where most of the greatest love stories take place. In books and film. They have Miracle on 5th avenue, Bared to you, New York minute, Falling for Rachel...," She trailed out.

"You know what, San Diego is good too, I couldn't choose," She shrugged.

The way she was talking about New York in that way again, made me feel uneasy. Especially the way she was comparing San Diego to it. San Diego was gonna be our town, thought she'd give it some hype. I put my tray away and she handed me here's to put away as well.  "I didn't know there was a choice in the first place," I scratched the back of my neck. "There isn't!" She quickly opposed. She looked at me, then averted her eyes around playing with her hair

"I mean, it was just a thought, that's all," Mika corrected herself. 

A thought, huh? Maybe I was just paranoid, like looking for a hidden meaning that wasn't there. "Okay," I shrugged ignoring myself. I noticed the time and realized that next period was about to start. "I'll see you later," I kissed her cheek. "Cool," She waved. I blew her a kiss and walked away to my next class.