Letters And Siblings

Mika's p.o.v

Being back home after spending three days in New York felt like being pulled out of infinite adventure and into a dull lifeless world. I was being dramatic, I know. But stepping into my living for the first again and seeing stuff pushed around and rearranged because of my aunt's wedding anniversary was making me uncomfy. I don't know, it's was likey because I was already so used to things but with every step I took things were changing and they were changing fast. I wasn't just referring to our furniture. I looked around to see if anyone was home. 

When we got off the bus Kimmy and I went to go get some food so Miles had gotten home before me. No doubt he was upstairs fast asleep. Other than that, no one else seemed to be home. Might as well go to my room and start unpacking.

Bose's p.o.v

I jammed the keys on the back door and turned the knob to my house.  I rolled my suitcase in and then went back out to check the mail. As usual, I grabbed the letters, patted the mailbox, and went back in closing the door. "Willard is that you? Did you remember to get Meatball some cat food? She's glowing again" My mom called from the kitchen. Did she say the cat was glowing? Again? I should be worried maybe but i don't remember what Scwhoz said would happen if the cat became radioactive again so no biggy i guess. "No Mom, it's me," I corrected. I stood at the end of the staircase looking through the mail to see if anything was for me. 

"Bobo your back!" My Mom spoke from the kitchen. I think she was cooking so she couldn't come to give me one of her hugs right away. Gosh, i hope she wasn't cooking. I got food poisoning last time and i could still see green at random times. 

Man, we had a lot of mail today, i thought as i kept looking through it.

"Not for me"

"Not for me"

"Not for me,"

"Not for-" I was gonna dismiss another letter but this time i saw it was addressed to me. The envelope was plain white and it was handwritten instead of printed. That was odd, we almost never get personal mail. I  read what the front said i started to feel a cold sweat, a fight or flight instinct kicked in. Things got fuzzy and my eyes started mixing up the words. 

This couldn't have been real.

 Did he write to me? After 6 years, I had gotten a letter from my Dad. 

"What are you waiting for? Come give Mama and Meatball a kiss," I heard pots moving around from the kitchen.

I didn't want my Mom to see it so i hid it behind my back, "I will! After i go vacuum the plants," I thought of an excuse and ran upstairs to my room dragging my suitcase along.

When i reached my bedroom i closed the door and sat on my bed holding the letter. What on earth did he want? I stared at the letter and i had no clue what to do with it. For one i stared at it wishing out of any new ability i could unlock it would be heat vision so i could burn it, and two i really wanted to know why he reached out. 

I was contemplating whether to even open it. I mean i didn't have to, i didn't owe him anything. 

I opened the letter anyway, analyzing every single detail. 

I was excepting a simple letter from him explaining how he's been too busy to check in with me because of his new family or because work was becoming too much or because he was moving to some other state, again. But that isn't why he wrote to me. He was asking to see me. 

Huh, you know you've really screwed up as a Dad when your own son is surprised you wanna see them. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mika's p.o.v

"So how was your lame NYU party Miles asked," Putting his feet up on my bay window. I sat on my bed unpacking listening to music when i heard him. "You hadn't stopped talking about how much you'd hate it if you had to go to school that far when Berkeley rejected you," Miles continued. He was right, I thought my life would crumble if Montclair hadn't decided to enroll me and NYU was my only choice. 

"Actually, i love it there," I admitted folding more clothes.

 "I thought i was gonna hate it, that I'd be in some boring part of the city and i'd have to spend 4 years crying my eyes out waiting for it to be over," I laughed off, when had i become so theatric. 

"You really did like it?" Miles smirked. 

"Yeah, i did. I could see myself having a life there, you know? Now i understand why so many books are written they're and called 'New York's Best Seller'. There's always something to see, something to dig into. Also, Maria told me about this slate at NYU where potential writers from all over the country come together and share their creative differences with real authors. They'll even let me be an intern for the publishing houses and that just so....." I trailed off from my rant when i realized Miles deeply listening to me. I was doing that thing i did when something interested me again.

 "But um-...yeah, that doesn't really matter anyway because i doubt i got in," I rebutted. I realized that i had stopped folding while i was talking. I got back into the small routine i set.

"You know I've never heard you talk so passionately about anything else but writing and Bose, NYU really stole your heart sis," Miles claimed. He seemed impressed on how I talked about my experiences in New York and i was glad Miles understood me. However, that's all it was...talking. "But Montclair is also a great school and I'm determined to keep my grades up so next year I'll be able to transfer to Berkeley," I affirmed. Miles shook his head slightly when i mentioned Berkeley and i peered down folding my clothes again. 

"College is about connecting with new people and getting out of your comfort zone. It's about finding who you are and doing what you love. Mika, there's more to it than just what's in the books," Miles expressed," College was about popping that first safety bubble around you and just going for it".

"I know Miles, i do," I replied looking back at him. 

"Good," he got up from his spot walking over to my door but not before gently flicking me on the head.