Alone

It seems that things are different.

Once you pass the age of barbie dolls and pillow fights, fate decides that not everyone is going to be the same. This is not a bad thing because who wants to be identical to someone else, to have nothing to call your own. At least, that it what I used to think. But oh how times have changed.

Since we were young we had a plan to sail away together. We wanted to end up in some wonderful place where we would be together, and therefore our lives would be great. Now we are older and it is time to carry out our plan. But when we reach the dock we see there is not one ship but two. We talk and agree we might arrive even faster if we each had our own ship. We would still sail side by side and talk to one another over the roaring waves of the ocean until we would finally reach our destination. But as we set off we began drifting farther and farther apart in the water until we couldn't talk over the roaring waves and we were carelessly sailing in completely different directions. I ended up in California and you in England. The separation was startling so I decided to go ahead and return home so that the two of us could start all over with our plan. But you never returned. You may not have gone where we planned to but you decided that wherever you were was a much better place. You left me alone.

We had passed the age of barbie dolls and pillow fights and fate had gone and decided that the two of us were not at all the same. This wasn't a bad thing because who wants to be identical to someone else, but it wasn't a good thing because who wants to be all alone. That's what I now think. God has time changed.

It seems that things are different.

...

In case you were unable to tell this sailing story is a metaphor for how over time me and my friends have all drifted apart. Our interests don't match and our lives don't fit the same way in the puzzle that they used to. Times have changed and I don't think they'll be changing back any time soon.