Drowning

I thought it was interesting to see that one voice can easily over power others.

All around me there are people shouting out, loud and intimidating and relentless, even as others try to get in a word.

But it wasn't the amount of people yelling at the top of their lungs that came as a surprise to me, but instead it was what was making people listen to them over everyone else.

For some reason we choose to only listen to important people who yell their message over and over again as loud as they possibly can. I'm not sure why, but for some reason those people seem to draw more attention to themselves and their word seems trustworthy, even if they're spreading lies.

No one cares about what they're saying,

whether it's good or bad.

No one cares about why they're saying it,

or what their intentions are.

No one cares about the unheard voices,

who are fighting for someone to listen.

No one cares about the silent ones,

who are so scared they can't even speak their ideas out loud.

No one cares about what I have to say,

even if it might be the one thing in the world that matters most.

Everyone fights to be heard, but with all of the noise they're creating, the majority of the voices will drown out.

...

This weekend I was sitting by myself in a loud gym full of shouts and whistles and cheers. Some people were frantic, trying to get in a word and choosing to ignore what the people around them were saying. It brought me the idea for this poem and if you read between the lines you can tell that personally I think it's become a lost hope to try to be heard at all.