Chapter 6 - Lena & Krypto Origins Part 2

Chapter 6 – Lena & Krypto Origins Part 2

"Oh my god." Lena says in shock, upon seeing the site in front of her. "Are you okay boy?"

Lena approaches the dog cage for subject #225, but all the dog does is growl at her, moving away from her, back further into the cage. Upon hearing the growl Lena feels even worse than she already does, as she knows this means that the dog has obviously been abused by Lex, and Lillian. Lena's view of her brother is just completely shattered. Lena has always thought that her brother was a good person, nothing like her mother. In fact, Lena has no evidence, other than this, that has ever suggested her brother is capable of such evil. Lex has always been a good brother to Lena, supporting her, being her rock, while Lillian abused her. Lena just doesn't understand any of this.

Lena stands there in the room with subject #224 and subject #225, just lost in thought, thinking about her brother. However, as Lena continues to think, she just feels worse and worse. Things finally start to become clear to her. Lena thinks that if this is who her brother truly is, then that means he's been putting on a facade in front of her, for who knows how long, maybe even for forever. Lena continues to think, and things get even worse, and her heart aches further, making her want to just burst into tears. Eventually, Lena finally comes to the conclusion that Lex has been manipulating her. Lena realises that whatever Lex has been doing with these dogs and the DNA combining, he didn't have any success at all before Lena arrived, and he was well aware that he needed her skills and knowledge to further his work. So, Lena realises what Lex did is manipulate her, by playing on her loyalty to him, claiming that he needed her to work on the project, as otherwise the company would be in jeopardy. It's just a horrible thought for Lena, and what is even worse, is that if Lex manipulated her in regards to this, then how else has he been manipulating her?

Eventually Lena is shaken from her thoughts by subject #225 moving closer to her, nearer to the side of the cage where Lena is, almost as if the dog has been able to sense Lena's inner turmoil and devastation. The dog looks at Lena, with its big puppy dog eyes, looking like it is pleading with her, pleading for help. The dog can't even be more than 6 months old, if that, and she has no idea what horrors this dog has faced already in its short life with Lex and Lillian, and even before then, as whoever was willing to sell this amount of dogs to Lex clearly wasn't a good person. All Lena knows is that she has to save this dog, she can't let him die like all the other subjects; Lena just doesn't know how she will do it.

Lena takes a deep breath and approaches the cage door again. Thankfully this time subject #225 doesn't growl at her, he just gives Lena a curious look. Lena crouches down to the ground, getting a better look at the lock on the cage door. As Lena inspects the lock, subject #225 comes even closer to the brunette, poking his nose on her hand, as if he is thanking her for trying to set him free. For now, Lena ignores the gesture from the dog, just wanting to focus on seeing if she can break the lock, but it doesn't look too promising. The lock is large and bulky, and Lena doesn't think there is anything that she has noticed inside the lab that would be able to break or cut the lock, so the only other alternative is to attempt to pick the lock open. As a result of this realisation, Lena takes the paper clip from her pocket, which she used to open the lab door, and bends it, before then inserting it into the lock, trying to pick it. The big problem with all this, is that Lena has absolutely zero clue how to pick a lock, as it's just not something that she has ever needed to learn, or even be interested in. However, in this moment Lena really wishes, with all her might, that she'd picked up that skill, as it could be the difference between life and death for this dog.

Lena spends about 5 minutes attempting to pick the lock, with no success. Lena would have attempted to pick the lock for much longer, but she is stopped by the sound of Lex's lab door opening, signalling that Lex has returned.