Chapter 21 - Lena & Sam

"Wait! You know each other?" Kara asks, surprised.

"Yeah." Sam says, shaking the shock from herself. "She was the friend I had at MIT. The one I told you about who I spent a lot of time with the year you went to Harvard, and then the year you were at Yale."

"Oh... yeah.... I don't think you ever mentioned her name to me though." Kara says, thinking it would be really a bad thing if she just didn't remember Lena's name coming up.

"No. I didn't." Sam replies, "Lena wanted her privacy, because she was from a famous family, and I respected that. So, I just called her 'my friend'."

"Yeah, that rings a bell." Kara nods.

Lena steps forward, finally now clearing herself out of the shock she was in, after seeing her former best friend, who she had a falling out with over 5 years ago, and never spoke to again.

"Sa.... Sam?" Lena says, tears in her eyes.

"Hi, Lena." Sam smiles back, with big eyes.

Lena and Sam slowly walk towards each other, before then quickly closing the distance, and taking each other in for a big hug. Lena immediately begins crying on Sam's shoulder.

"I'm so sorry." Lena sobs.

"No, I'm sorry." Sam says back, now crying too.

Meanwhile, Alex has given her sister a confused look, as the two Danvers sisters just watch this certainly unexpected scene unfold. Although, Kara can't help but feel a bit jealous right now. Kara feels a connection with Lena, and Lena has said she feels it too, so Kara can't help but be jealous over the fact Lena also has one with Sam, with much more history. It makes Kara wonder if what she is feeling for Lena is really true. But as soon as Kara thinks of that, she puts a pin in it, deciding to deal with that later, as now is certainly not a good time for it.

Lena and Sam continue to hug, both crying as they do, with Kara and Alex still looking on confused. However, eventually the moment is disturbed by Ruby, who has begun to struggle in Kara's arms, signalling she wants to be put down, so Kara does.

"Mommy? Why are you crying? Who is she?" Ruby asks, confused.

Lena and Sam part from their hug and booth look at Ruby.

"Oh..." Lena says, "is she...."

"Yeah." Sam nods.

Kara and Alex both look at one another again, now even more confused by the unspoken words between Lena and Sam. Sam then clears her throat, and steps closer to Ruby.

"Ruby, this is Lena, she is an old friend of mine..... and your other godmother." Sam says.

"What?!" Lena asks, surprised.

Sam just shoots Lena a caring smile.

"You.... you.... still made me her godmother?" Lena asks, sobbing again.

"Of course I did. I always hoped that you'd come back to me." Sam says, with a sad caring smile on her face.

"Oh, Sam." Lena sobs.

Sam then walks over to Lena again, and takes her in for a hug. Meanwhile, Ruby just stands still, looking confused at Lena, not really understanding what is going on. After a few more moments, Sam turns to look at her daughter again.

"Ruby, come here." Sam says, with a warm smile.

Ruby begins to walk closer.

Sam then turns to look at Lena.

"Would you like to meet your goddaughter?" Sam asks, softly.

"Ye...eah." Lena replies, voice shaking, and tears in her eyes.

Sam turns to Ruby once more, and holds out her hand for Ruby to take. The five-year-old does, and comes closer.