Chapter 36 - The 'death' of Kara Danvers

BREAKING NEWS: KARA DANVERS DEAD!!

"We are getting breaking news right now." A CatCo reporter begins, "It is being confirmed that Kara Danvers, the CEO of El-Corp, is dead, at the age of 27. It is believed that Miss Danvers was on a flight to Tokyo, on her private jet, when a massive malfunction occurred, resulting in the plane's explosion. Investigations are ongoing. No other individuals were killed or harmed in the explosion, as Miss Danvers was the only person aboard the plane at the time. The plane was using her ground-breaking self-piloting system. Kara Danvers is survived by her adopted sister and mother, Alex Danvers, and Eliza Danvers. Our thoughts are with Kara Danvers friends and family at this time."

The report then ends, and Andrea is standing off to the side, looking shocked. Andrea has always been taken with Kara, even if she tried to deny it for a while when they were at university. After Andrea first heard the news she called Kara right away, but the phone was dead. So right now, Andrea is shellshocked, but at the same time suspicious. Andrea isn't stupid, and she knows that Kara is smart. Andrea is pretty sure it was Kara who was the one to give CatCo all that info on Armatech and Otis Graves during Lillian's interview. So, with what happened, and what Lillian said during her interview, Andrea is pretty confident that Lillian and Lex have just taken Kara out as revenge. Andrea just feels awful, because she wonders if this is all her fault, as she was the one that gave the platform to Lillian in the first place, even though she remembers what Lena said to her about Lillian all those years ago in boarding school. At the time Andrea just thought that finding Lena was more important than working with Lillian.

*********************************

Lena goes running into Sam's living room, with an extremely worried look on her face, and tears in her eyes, having just seen the news on her phone. Lena knows that with Kara's powers the news can't possibly be true. However, there is a part of Lena that worries, beyond belief, that it is true, and somehow Kara died in the explosion. Lena thinks that maybe Kara died due to a lack of oxygen or something before the explosion, because she doesn't even know if Kara needs oxygen to breathe normally like humans do.

"Sam?! What is happening?!" Lena asks, in a pleading voice, with tears now running down her face.

"I...... I don't know Lena..." Sam says, shellshocked, looking at the news on her TV screen.

Thankfully right now Ruby is already in bed for the evening, and Krypto is by the young girl's side, like he has been for the last few weeks, protecting the young child.

"What do you mean you don't know?!" Lena replies, snapping at her friend, "She can't be dead! She can't be!"

Sam turns around and looks at Lena. For Sam this news is also very distressing and devastating, as Kara Danvers is her best friend. Just like Lena, Sam wonders if maybe it really is true. Maybe Kara really did die somehow in the plane explosion.

"Lena.... I..... I...... I don't know...." Sam says, and the breaks into tears.

Upon Sam crying Lena breaks into more tears herself, and the two women then take one in for a hug, crying into each other's shoulders, wondering if this is some insane dream that they are both about to wake up from.

Sam and Lena continue to cry for a good 30 minutes, eventually sitting down on one of the couches next to each other, continuing to hug one another. But after 30 minutes, the two are interrupted by the front door opening.

"Sam?! Lena?!" Alex calls out.

Sam and Lena quickly jump off the couch, hoping that maybe Alex has some more information as to what happened. Obviously the two of them could have called Alex, but they were too emotionally devastated to even think to do that.