Chapter 22 - Reconnecting Dinner

After the explanation from Sam and Lena, in regards to their story, as to how they know one another, and all the history that comes with it, the four women just settle into chatting, completely forgetting about doing research into Lex and Lillian Luthor. Lena and Sam spent the next several hours talking, with Sam explaining everything that has happened to her, and that she has done, since they 'parted ways' in university. Lena then also explained what she did during university after Sam left, while leaving out all the stuff that happened over the last 3 years. It's not that Lena didn't want to talk about everything that has happened to her, she does, as she feels it will be a good thing, and some sort of therapy. But Lena decides to save that for another day, as today, for one of the few times in the last 3 years, she is very happy. Lena doesn't want to ruin things by talking about some of the horrific things she went through over the last 3 years, as what Lex and Lillian did to her before she left is only the tip of the iceberg. So instead, Lena and Sam just enjoyed one another's company, with Kara and Alex adding their own input into stories, asking questions, and even sharing their own stories when appropriate. All while the four adults are doing this, Ruby has decided to sit on the floor and play with Krypto, who seems to be very happy to play with the small child.

Eventually, several hours go by, and dinner time is approaching. The four women have been talking so much that the time has completely flown by. Lena, right in this moment, is very happy, so much so that she can momentarily forget about all of her other problems.

"Mommy, I'm hungry." Ruby says, standing up from the floor and tugging at Sam's clothes, interrupting the adult's conversation.

Sam looks at her watch.

"Oh my, is it really 6PM?!" Sam says, very surprised.

"What?!" Alex exclaims, pulling out her own phone to check. "Yeah, it is."

"Wow.... well..... Ruby and I really should be off then..... I need to feed her something, even though I'd love to stay and continue chatting." Sam says.

"Why don't we order something, and you can stay here a while longer?" Kara suggests.

"Uhmmm...." Sam hums, thinking, "Yeah, okay, we don't have anything in the fridge anyway."

"You do. I made sure to buy you some milk and chicken." Alex says.

"Oh, thank you Alex." Sam smiles.

"You can still stay though. I'm sure you'd rather not cook now, especially as you haven't really had any time to relax since coming home from Japan." Kara says.

"Yeah, we'll still stay. Ruby will get food quicker this way, anyway, and I won't have to put up with too much moaning." Sam explains.

"Great!" Kara smiles, widely. "So, what should we order?"

"I don't know. I'm not really bothered." Sam replies.

Alex looks over at Ruby, and smiles at the young girl.

"Hey, Ruby, what would you like to have for dinner?" Alex asks, sweetly.

Ruby looks at Alex and bites her lip.

"Uhmmm..... I don't know..." Ruby replies.

"Okay." Alex nods, and pulls out her phone. "How about I give you my phone, and you can look at the food you would like to eat?"

Ruby smiles at Alex upon hearing that.

"Okay." Ruby nods, and then walks over to Alex, but instead of just taking the phone from Alex's hand, she climbs up on the couch and sits in Alex's lap. Alex for her part, doesn't react in a way that suggests she is surprised by this action from Ruby at all, which makes it come across as if this isn't the first time Ruby has sat in her lap.