Lies

Hey everyone! Thanks for reading! I hope you guys enjoy it!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maya sighed as she waited for the receptionist to give her the green light to head up to the office area. This was the part that she hated the most in being a visitor instead of an Agent. Having to take orders from someone like a receptionist in order to get to where she needed to go.

She couldn't just walk in anymore like she used to be able to. The visitor card clipped to her shirt proved that. It was light, but that still didn't stop it from making Maya feel like it burned a hole through her clothes and straight to her skin.

The receptionist waved Maya through. Maya gave her a sarcastic smile before she walked past the desk and towards the elevators. She jiggled her leg up and down impatiently.

This would be the first time she had seen the guys since everything that had happened with the exception of Farkle and Josh. She wasn't quite sure what to expect.

She had gotten the usual 'feel better' and 'we're glad you're okay' sympathy texts as usual from the guys and Mia. But it wasn't the same as seeing them in person. Especially with all the crap she pulled on them during the case.

As the elevator doors opened and Maya stepped through, it was almost like instinct for her to look up towards Josh's office. She could see him through the window, but he wasn't alone. Mia was sitting across from him with a slight frown on her face. Whatever they were talking about, seemed to be serious.

"Maya!" Maya took her eyes off of Josh's office and looked over to see Zay beaming at her. Maya smiled at him as he walked over and gently pulled her into a hug. "It's so good to see you." He whispered in her ear.

He was careful not to touch her shoulder at all, but that didn't stop Maya from squeezing him tight. She had missed Zay, even if he was the one on the team she really had the least interactions with.

"You're looking better." Lucas smiled at her as he came from around the corner behind Zay. Zay pulled back from the hug and Lucas took his opportunity to go in for one of his own.

"It's really good to see you guys." Maya breathed out. Farkle stood over in the corner and winked at her. They had spent a lot of time together over the last couple of days, he wanted to give her space for the others to see her. "Listen, I just wanted to say I'm so-"

"Don't finish that sentence," Lucas said with a small smirk on his face. "Apologizing isn't your thing, it's weird to hear it coming from you." He teased.

"Besides, it's not like we haven't already forgiven you." Zay winked. Maya let out a breath.

"No really, what I did wasn't fair to any of you. I shouldn't have gotten so blinded by that case that I forgot I was on a team." She admitted. And it was true. Although she did regret a lot of the decisions that she had made to go on her own, she wondered just how different things would have been if she had let the rest of the team help instead of pushing them away. She wasn't sure, and she knew she couldn't dwell on it either.

"What's done is done." Lucas shrugged his shoulders. "There's no reason to talk about it now." And suddenly Maya felt relief and guilt wash over her at the same time. Relieved because they forgave her and weren't angry, and guilty because she knew she didn't deserve it.

"Get over yourself," Farkle spoke up with an eye roll. He always seemed to know what she was thinking. "This was personal for you, Maya. Which made it personal for us. Any of us would have done the same thing if it had hit close to home like that."

Maya stared at him for a moment and then snorted. "No, you wouldn't have. But I appreciate the words nonetheless." Farkle winked at her again before her attention was brought back to Josh's office, where he and Mia were still talking.

"What's going on up there?" Maya asked. All three men glanced up at the office as well.

"Not sure. Josh only said he needed to talk with Mia. He didn't say what about." Farkle said.

"They've been up there for about thirty minutes already. We haven't seen any big reactions, only talking. So it's hard to tell if it's good or bad." Zay explained.

"We probably won't know either until Josh is ready for us to know. Whatever it is, he sounded serious when he asked her to come up and talk with him." Lucas finished.

Maya bit her lip. She started racking her brain for anything that Josh may have said in the last week or so that could possibly give her a hint to what it was. But she came up empty. And she knew that he wouldn't tell her later, even if she asked.

"Hey Maya, can I talk to you for a minute?" Farkle asked. Maya looked over at him and gave him a half-smile before following him over to the corner. "I asked Smackle to marry me." He stated.

Maya blinked. Once. Twice. Three times before it finally processed in her head. The bluntness of the statement caught her off guard.

"Seriously?" She asked. Farkle nodded his head slowly. A grin started coming across her face.

"Farkle that's amazing." A big smile was now on her face. "When did you do this? And why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"It's been a few weeks. We wanted to keep it on the down-low for right now. With everything going on we didn't want to risk it getting around." Farkle explained.

"How are you planning on telling Josh?" She asked. Farkle bis his lip as he stared at her. And realization dawned as Maya narrowed her eyebrows. "Josh knows." It was a statement. Not a question. Farkle nodded. "You told Josh and you didn't tell me?" Annoyance was laced in her tone as she glared at her partner.

"Well, technically Smackle told Josh." This only confused Maya even more.

"Why would Smackle tell Josh?" She asks.

"It was kind of spare of the moment thing. Josh was driving that ambulance with the bomb inside and Smackle was on the line with him-"

"Bomb." Maya cut him off. Her eyes went slightly wide. "What bomb?" Farkle stopped talking and stared at her.

"The bomb on the ambulance a week ago. The one that almost took out the hospital that David had his men plant-"

"I know about the bomb, Farkle." Maya cut him off.

"Then why did you ask?" He questioned.

"Did you say Josh was driving that ambulance?" Her tone was light but still had an edge to it. Farkle continued to stare at her.

"He didn't tell you?" He whispered. Maya shook her head. Farkle licked his lips. "Maya," he started. "Josh was the one that drove the ambulance into that field before it went off. He had to jump out just right before it exploded and he hit his head. That's why he had to get those stitches. This was all in the file."

"I didn't read the file," Maya said in a low tone. "Josh didn't think it was a good idea." And now she knew why.

"I'm sorry," Farkle suddenly said. "You shouldn't have had to hear this from me."

"No. I shouldn't have." Her tone was cold and slightly distant. It made Farkle wince. "Josh should have told me." She continued. He had told her there was nothing else. Told her that there wasn't anything else she should know about what had happened that day. He lied to her.

"I don't think Josh meant to upset you by keeping this from you," Farkle said. But he could tell that it was too late. But rather it would have been better for her to find out from Josh at this point he wasn't sure. Either way, he had kept this information from her for a week now.

"I should go." She told him.

"Do you want me to tell Josh you stopped by?" He asked.

"No." She answered immediately. "I'll see him later." She took one last look up to the window of his office and couldn't stop the glare from coming on her face. They would definitely be having a conversation later.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________