Reinforcement

Hey everyone! Thanks for reading and commenting! Hope you guys enjoy this next chapter!!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lights flashing, siren welling and breaking every law in the book when it comes to driving, Josh was speeding towards the destination that Max had given him that would take him straight to Maya.

"What's our ETA?" Josh asked as he blew his horn at a car to get out of his way.

"Ten minutes." Zay stated. Josh shook his head. He was becoming more and more impatient as time went by. "He also gave us directions to the back of the compound. We go through that way and David will never know we're coming."

"Call the others and see where they're at." Josh told him. Zay called Farkle and put it on speaker, on the second ring he picked up.

"Minkus." Farkle answered.

"Farkle, where are you guys at?" Josh asked.

"We just gave a list of all the buildings to Smackle, she's researching and doing everything she can to hack the security cameras. Local police and detectives are going to head to each building that we give them. We told them not to make a big deal of it because we didn't want these guys to know we have the jump ahead on them." He explained. "What about you guys? Have you found Maya yet?"

"Not yet. We're on our way to the location that Max gave us. We won't be there for another eight minutes. Listen, I need you to be on the phone with Max and talking him through getting inside David's head. We need to be one step ahead of him always." Josh said. There was silence on the other end before Farkle spoke again.

"I thought Max was with you." He stated. Josh snapped his head over to the phone as if Farkle could see him.

"No. I told him to stay with Smackle and help her. We needed him back at headquarters." Josh said.

"I just spoke with Smackle, she said that he took off after you guys right after you left. He said that you had told him to stay close behind." Farkle explained.

"Shit." Josh mumbled as he and Zay shared a look.

"You don't think he played us for pawns, do you?" Zay asked him. Josh shook his head.

"No. I think he cares way too much about Maya to do that. I do think he'd go after David though." Josh told him.

"But he's terrified of David." Zay stated. "You saw him back in the office, just the mention of his name sends him into trembles."

"He's not going after David to confront him, he's going after him because he had Maya. He knows this compound better than we do, I bet he's already there." Josh said as he stepped on it more.

"What's going on?" Farkle asked.

"You worry about finding those bombs and taking those guys down. You let us worry about Maya and David. You and Lucas are in charge, Farkle." Josh told him. They said they're goodbyes and hung up the phone.

"What do we do about Max? He could get in the way of us getting to David." Zay told him as they pulled up to the woods that Max had described.

"There are bombs and anthrax all over this city. We take David down no matter what." Josh told him as he parked the car at the side of the woods and they both got out.

"We'll have to split up, cover more ground that way." Zay whispered. Josh nodded his head towards a direction.

"He said the cabin was just half a mile up through here a ways. You head around the back, I'll take the front." Josh told him. Zay nodded. They took out their guns, and then headed off.
~

Maya groaned as she tried once again to reach towards the propane stove to turn it off. But no matter how many times she tried, there just wasn't any way to do it. Her body was screaming in agony and protest as she finally just collapsed back onto the floor.

It had only been just a few minutes since David had left and Maya was stuck still handcuffed to the pole. She could feel the heat coming from the stove and she knew it would be any minute now before the whole place blew.

She leaned her head back against the table and sighed. This was really how she was going to die. She should have trusted her instincts while David was bringing her here. She knew something was wrong, she could feel it. But she ignored it, and she allowed him to lead her straight into her death.

Maya could only imagine how swollen, black and blue her face looked right now. She wasn't bleeding nearly as badly as she had been, but she could feel the dried blood that had caked itself onto her face and hair.

"Maya!" The door busted open and Maya looked up to see Max standing there, panting. Here eyes grew wide and she ignored the pain on her face.

"Max?! What the hell are you doing here?" She asked him as he came to kneel beside her. His face was horror struck as he stared at her, at what David had done to her.

"Oh my God." He whispered in shock. "He did this to you?' He asked, his voice trembling.

"There's no time for that! Max you've got to get out of here! This whole place is about to blow!" Maya told him as she nodded towards the chemicals that were being loosed in the room. Max's eyes winded as he looked around, and he suddenly got to his feet and went searching. "What are you doing?! You have to go!" She yelled at him.

"I'm not leaving you!" He yelled back. "I'm not letting you die like this! I'm going to get you out of here!" He continued to search frantically. Maya looked over at the propane stove with panic, steam was staring to come off it.

"Damn it, Max! Go! Tell my team what happened! Help them stop David!" She yelled. But Max ignored her, and instead, let out a sigh of relief as he found what he was looking for and rushed back over to Maya.

"I'm not leaving you, Maya. Either we walk out of here together or we die together." He told her as he took the bolt cutters he found and cut Maya's handcuff that was attached to the pole. "Let's go." He told her as he reached down and scooped her up into his arms bridal style. Maya groaned at the contact he made with her ribs.

He rushed outside of the ware house, as far as they could get. They were running for about a minute into cover when the shack blew up.
~

Zay and Josh had found themselves back together as they ran further into the woods, tying to get even a glimpse of the shack that Max had described.

"There it is! Just ahead!" Zay stated as he pointed. Josh squinted, but there it was.

They both started running as fast as they could, just approaching the fifty feet mark when it happened. The shack exploded. Both Zay and Josh hit the ground with their arms over their heads, their ears ringing at the sound.

Just as Debris was falling around them, they both looked up at the old shack that was now in flames and being burned to ashes. And suddenly, with a jolt in his stomach and sorrow filling him, he had a fearful thought.

Maya.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading! Until next time!