Stepping It Up

Hey everyone!! Hope everybody is doing well and staying safe!! Hope you guys enjoy this next chapter!!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maya had really upped her game in the last week that she had been there. She had gone on that dinner date with David the night she got back from seeing her team, and it went great. He took her out to dinner, and they actually went bowling afterwards. The night was filled with lots of laughs and jokes and Maya couldn't help herself from thinking about how it was so similar to the first time her and Josh went out.

David had been the perfect gentleman towards her. He had opened her doors for her, never walked in front of her, kept giving her compliments through out the night, would lean in and kiss her so very often. It had been great. There were really three things that were keeping Maya from really falling for him.

1. He was a murderer and someone that she had to bring down.

2. Every time something would happen, Carry would pop into her mind and make her refocus.

3. She was completely and totally in love with Josh.

There was no denying it anymore. She couldn't. She had spent the last few months undercover doing nothing but thinking about him. Even if David was a perfectly normal guy, there was no way that she could ever look at anyone else other than Josh. And she couldn't wait until this case was over, she didnt care if she had to be transferred. She loved him, and she wanted to be with him.

Josh was the only thing keeping Maya sane and helping her with her act with David. Every time he leaned over to grab her hand, she pictured Josh. Every time he held her in his arms, she pictured Josh. Every time he gave her a complement or spoke to her in a soothing tone, she pictured Josh. Every time he kissed her, she thought of Josh.

David had not thought anything about it, he truly believed that Maya was falling for him. And when Maya looked at the way David stared at her, she thought that perhaps, he was really starting to fall for her.

Maya had tried to put her team in the back of her head. She couldn't afford to spend her time thinking of Farkle and the others all the time. The only person she would allow herself to think about was Josh, and that was so she could fool David.

But she slipped up every once in a while. But she figured that was a good thing, because it kept her properly motivated to keep pushing forward and keep making David think that they were the best couple. And although he had not even hinted to telling her what his big plan was yet, Maya had been getting more influence over David.

He had stopped killing people because of her. She told him that she didnt like the violent act that he did against his enemies, so instead of killing them he had started to find other ways to shut them up. Lydia and the women had been getting more time off. Maya had told David that these women were human, too. And as long as they never said anything about what was going on, that they deserved some break time and a little freedom as well.

Even though these women were part of his sex trafficking operation that he was doing, Maya had turned out to be a very good influencer. And David seemed to want to do anything that made her happy. So he gave the women time off, but they weren't allowed off the property. Which Maya felt was unfair, but at least it was a start. And she didnt want to push the boundaries anymore than she already had, she needed to keep him on his good side when it came to her.

Max had been acting weird. He hadn't been talking to Maya very much anymore, and he wouldn't even acknowledge Michael when he was in the room. Michael had not told Maya what had happened, that Max had followed them. But Maya could sense that there was some type of tension there.

Whenever Maya would see him in the house and try to strike up a conversation with him, he would just nod his head at her as a greeting and keep walking. He would only speak to her when David was around, as if he didnt want to attract attention to the fact that he wasn't really talking to her.

Maya wondered if something had happened. If she had done something to offend Max during her time with David. Did he feel neglected? Did he suspect something? Maya felt her blood run cold. Would he tell if he did know something?

But her questions seemed to answer themselves as the week went by and David still treated her like she was the queen of his universe. No, Max hadn't said anything yet. If he had then she and Michael would already be dead. But did he know something? Was he debating with himself on if he should tell David or not?

Maya felt like she needed to talk to Max, to see if he was okay. But every time she started his way, she would get a look from Michael that almost seemed like he was warning her to stay away and keep her mouth shut. And in Maya's book, it was better to be safe than sorry.

The women in the house were back. Lydia had told Maya that David had sent them all out to different locations, and that some of the women had not come back. As Maya looked around the house, she noticed that more and more women were dissappearing.

The last week, Maya felt she had made incredible progress with her undercover. She felt that she really had David where she wanted him. She felt that perhaps, she was closing in on whatever it was that she was supposed to be finding out. But she couldn't bring it up, no. That would be way too suspicious. She had to wait until David felt comfortable enough to tell her. She needed him to think that she was completely and totally on his side.

Maya would sometimes look across the room and her eyes would meet with Michaels. They had gotten better at communicating wordlessly with each other. Reading each others body language. Never really noticing the observer that they had in Max every time they did.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading!! Things are going to get intense pretty soon.