Special Agent Joshua Matthews

Here's the first chapter! Enjoy!
________________________
I kept my hand up as the army set off the twenty one gun solute in Carries honor. My team and I lined up one by one to say goodbye to one of our own. They started to play amazing grace in the background while fireworks shot off in the sky, and just like that I was reminded of why we were here in the first place.

"Maya! Maya we got to get out of here!"

"No we have to get Carrie!"

"There's no time this place is about to blow up any minute!"

"We can't leave a team member behind! I have to go find her!"

"Maya-!"

"Maya!" I snapped out of my memory and looked at Farkle who was beside me. "We have to go we're needed back at the office." He informed me making me shake my head.

"We can't leave! That would be disrespectful to Carrie and her family." I said. Farkle gave me a regretful look. I know this wasn't his fault I shouldn't have taken it out on him.

"I'm sorry Maya. We have to go." I sighed and followed Farkle to my car. We figured that we would have to go back to work afterwards so we car pulled together. The rest of our team went to their cars and got in following us back to the office. I looked back one more time as I watched Carries family cry as the casket was put down into the grave.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. Then I felt Farkle's arm around me as he lead me the rest of the way to my car.

I asked Farkle to drive because I knew the more I thought about Carrie the more emotional I was going to get. I leaned my head against the window as I thought about the way Carrie took me under her wing when I first became an agent. She was like my mentor when it came to field work. I remember the first time I went undercover, it was her idea to go undercover with me because I was scared out of my mind and I didn't know what to do. She saved my life a few months ago, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for her. I owed her my life and I couldn't even return the favor.

We pulled into the office and I sighed as I unbuckled and Farkle turned the ignition off.

"Maya. Carrie wouldn't want you to blame yourself." Farkle said making me shake my head.

"No I failed her. We took an oath to always have each others back when it came to field work and I broke that." Farkle sighed and put his hand on my shoulder.

"Maya it was my call to leave Carrie. We had to get out of there or else we would have been sharing that funeral with Carrie. If it's anyone's fault it was mine." Farkle said as he rubbed my shoulder with one hand and gripped the steering wheel with the other. I smiled at him even though I knew he was just trying to help but, I knew that it was all my fault.

Thanks Farkle." I said as I reached up and put my hand on his. He smiled at me for a second before we both pulled back and got out of the car to head to our floor.

As we got off the elevator our team was all gathered around our leader Mia Saunders. She to had not been the same since the bombing up in Manhattan. She made the call to send Carrie, Farkle and myself into the building to evacuate it while Zay and Lucas led the squad team to where they thought the bombers had been hiding out.

"Guys I have an announcement to make." We all gathered around her as you could tell that she hadn't got much sleep since that day happened last week. I didn't blame her, sleep wasn't as easy for me to come by either these days. "As of today I am stepping down from being the leader of this team." Everyone stayed silent. Nobody knew what to say. Our whole team was shook because of what happened in Manhattan but none of us were about to quit.

"So you're leaving?" Lucas asked with a hint of anger in his voice.

"I have been speaking to the board and I have decided to step down and take Carries place as the communication liaison. I'm not leaving the team but I think that, under new leadership would be the best thing for this team. The board has found someone that they think would be a great fit for this team." Mia explained making me clinch my fist. I hated new leadership. It means that everything changes. The way we go on calls, who we go on calls with, how we deal with situations. Everything changes and I hate change.

"You mean we have to not only get use to not having Carrie around but we also have to get use to a new leader." Zay said as he put his hands in his pockets. I didn't blame him, I hated this just as much as he did.

"This is a good thing. The guy that they have hired has a very high reputation with the FBI and they think he would be a great leader and great for this team." Mia said. I hope she's right, otherwise there are going to be some major issues. I folded my arms across my chest as I watched two figures talking in Mia's now former office.

"Is that him." I scoffed as I could see the back of him leaning against the door frame talking to Mrs. Helton. A woman from the board.

"Guys common. It's the first time he's been back from London in three years." Mia said. London... Three years...No way.

"You don't think..." Farkle said as if he was reading my mind. I shook my head.

"He wouldn't." I said thinking my ex wasn't that stupid to get transferred to the same district as I am. Suddenly my question was answered when the man that I knew so well turned around and fixated his eyes right on mine.

"This is Joshua Matthews. He is now the leader of your team." Mrs. Helton said as she came out of the office with Josh right behind her. Since Farkle, Lucas and I are the only ones that have ever met Josh we were the ones that probably looked like a fish out of water right now.

"Hi. I'm Josh as you have heard and I hope that we can all get along and be professional about this new change." He never even took his eyes off of me when he said that. Douche bag.

"I can't believe it." Lucas whispered to me and Farkle.

"Riley didn't tell you about this?" I asked shocked. I mean, Riley is Lucas's wife you'd think she would tell him that her uncle was going to become his boss.

"I don't think Riley knew about this." Lucas responded. I shook my head in disbelief as I turned around and went back to my desk feeling Josh's eyes burn in the back of my head the entire time.

"Alright. Let's get to work we have a case." Josh said making everyone sigh as they went into the meeting room. Just as I was following them Josh pulled me back by my wrist. I glared at him as I realized that it was just us and a few other people that was in the desk room.

"May I help you?" I asked sarcastically. Josh looked behind me and glanced at the meeting room and then back at me as he let go of my wrist.

"We need to talk." He said making me scoff.

"Well can we do it when we don't have a case?" I said sarcastically making him glare at me. "We need to go otherwise it isn't going to be a great first impression for the team, boss." I snapped at him making him even angrier.

"Fine. Just try not to make the tension between us to obvious." He said making me laugh.

"You're the one that's keeping them waiting. I didn't even want to have this discussion in the first place." I said with a teasing smile. Josh clenched his jaw, something that he did when he was frustrated and angry. I turned around and made my way into the meeting room with the rest of my team.
___________________________
First chapter into the books!