12: The Emperor and the Reaper

A few weeks later. At the same time that Hajime met with Hydra.

The students returned to the Palace after learning that an envoy from the Holchester Empire was coming to meet them.

The Holchester Empire was an ally of the Hairihi Kingdom in the war against the demons. This country was founded 300 years ago by mercenaries and is very famous with adventurers because of its meritocratic system.

The empire did not have as much church influence as the kingdom, so for them this whole business of Heroes invoked by God to rule humanity was not at all convincing.

In the empire power and money are valued much more than faith so they didn't come to visit the heroes because they didn't see any value in them, but now the news that the heroes defeated the monster on the 65th floor "Behemoth" spread.

The probable cause of the visit was to see if the heroes were that strong.

When the students arrived at the Palace they were met by Prince Randell who looked a little down.

The reason for this was that before the excursion to the Dungeon, Kaori who was now aware of her own charm had spoken to Randell and when he said things like "could you stay here with me" she who finally understood the meaning of these things gently rejected him, causing him to go into the arms of his sister in tears.

As they were entering the palace. A female voice rang out.

"Randell why are you here? I told you I would receive them. You have been very head down since Kaori's rejection and it will affect the heroes' animations."

"Don't talk about it!"

He rushed off while crying.

"Well sorry about my brother. Come, I will introduce you to the envoy of the Empire."

Liliana was a princess idolized throughout the Kingdom and was very close to the Heroes. Especially Kaori and Shizuku. She felt bad for them that they were kidnapped and were now in an unknown world so whenever she could she talked to them.

They made their way to a room with a large round table.

At the table sat the leaders of the country including Ishtar and the King.

Ishtar saw them entering and announced.

"Gentlemen sent. They have arrived. Be sure to observe our supreme heroes."

"We thank you for accepting our request. That said... May we know the identity of the Hero?"

"Of course, Kouki-dono please step forward."

Kouki approached with an air of dignity with his group behind him.

"Oh they are quite young. May I ask if it's true that you guys actually got past the 65th floor of the Dungeon? It's just that I've heard there's a creature called the Behemoth there..."

While assessing Kouki the envoy also saw Ishtar's relaxed look and gave her a look of suspicion. One of the envoy's bodyguards also looked Kouki up and down.

"May I speak? Yes we defeated him. If you want we can give you a description of the battle or..."

Kouki offered a series of proofs and the envoy cracked a smile on his face.

"No, there is no need. How about you battle one of my guards so we can see your strength?"

Kouki didn't know if he could so he looked at the King and Ishtar, they looked at each other and nodded in agreement.

"Okay. I guess that's okay."

"Good."
●●●

They made their way to the training ground.