Cynicism

KJ's POV

"You look pissed off." Sehun says as soon as I get in the car, giving me a quick kiss.

"You know I hate irresponsible people." I roll my eyes.

"Didn't the meeting go well?" He looks at me worried.

"Yeah, but my new partner is one of those futile and irresponsible girls. Do you think she smelled like drinking and signed the contracts without reading?" angry snort.

"I didn't think she was like that, on second thought, all I've heard about her is that she's relentless and very strict with the employees."

"I hope she doesn't disturb my work" I sigh looking out the window "But let's talk about good things."

"What do you want to eat, my love?" he squeezes my hand and interlaces our fingers.

"Chicken!" I say without having to think too much and he laughs. "Dad sent you a hug and said you should go to the fusion party."

"Are you calling me on a date?" he smiled.

"It depends on your answer."

"If not?"

"I'll say it's a joke." I start to laugh.

"What if is it?" he parks the car in his garage and turns to me.

"Then I'll say that I'm already looking forward to our date." I squeeze his cheek and he laughs before kissing me.

*********

"Chaengie!" I nod to her who seems to be looking for someone. She looks so beautiful wearing only a top, shorts and sunglasses. We're in a club where the merger party of the two companies is being held.

"Oh, Chu, you look amazing!" she says in that soft voice before hugging me. Chaeyoung / Rosé is my best friend, singer and one of the best people I'm lucky to have around.

"Stop this!" I feel my cheeks flush. I'm wearing only a basic, flowery, loose dress, straw hat and flat sandals.

"You look more beautiful when you blush." I slap her.

"Rosé!" Sehun appears with our drinks and backhugs me, wrapping his arms around my abs. I rest my head on his shoulder. "Do you want a drink? I can get it for you."

"Not now" she smiles "You're so beautiful together, when are you getting married?" I feel my cheeks get even hotter and Sehun laughs.

"Rosé?" a tall girl with short hair nudges her and Chae turns around.

"Lisa! I didn't know I would be here, it's nice to see you again." they hug and I realize that Jennie Kim is with Chae's friend. Sehun squeezes me closer to him and I close my eyes smiling. "I don't know if you know, but this is my best friend, Kim Jisoo, and her boyfriend, Sehun." Chae turns to us again.

"I remember seeing you at some events, I think, forgive me if I'm confused." I reach out to her, who gives a firm squeeze. Her smile is huge and bright. She seems to be fun.

"Your memory is good." she laughs "You obviously already know each other, but this is Jennie Kim." My smile disappears at the same moment she takes a step forward, standing next to Chae.

"It's good to see you again!" She gives a cheeky smile and observes me from head to toe, before licking her lips.

"Hello, Miss Ruby." I nod and turn to Sehun "Shall we walk for a while?"

"Whatever you want, baby." He kisses my forehead and takes my hand. "See you later, girls!" he waves before we leave.

*********

"What's the problem?" Chae sits next to me while I watch the pool, drinking my drink.

"I'm just looking at the water." I look at her confused.

"Not that, I'm talking about the tension between you and Jennie." she says as if it were obvious.

"There's no tension." I roll my eyes.

"Chu, come on, you're the nicest person I know, with everyone, but it was only when she arrived that you were as cold as ice." she takes my hand.

"I don't like her. She's arrogant, irresponsible, went to the fusion meeting, having a hangover and smelling of the drink." I say irritated and she looks at me in surprise.

"I never heard you speak of someone like that in all these years." she intertwines our fingers.

"Yes, there's a first time for everything, I intend to take as much responsibility as I can to deal with her as little as possible. She's immature, I don't know how she managed to become CEO, it must be because of her status."

"Chu! You really hate her." she laughs and I scowl at her.

"Can we talk about something else? Just remembering how irresponsible she's, I get irritated." I close my eyes for a few seconds. "What's going on between you and Lisa?" I look at her and she looks away.

"We kissed a few times, nothing more than that. She's a great company, very fun, you'll love her." she laughs and suddenly stops "Ah, she's also Jennie's ex-girlfriend and best friend."

"How can someone so good vibes live with that being so..." I stop while I think of a word to define Jennie.

"Love, I'm tired, do you want to leave?" Sehun stops next to us, he yawns and I get up.

"Yes, let's go." I take his hand "Chae, are we going to go out this week? Don't disappear!" I kiss her on the cheek and she seems to blush, but I'm not sure. We're almost at the exit when someone stops us.

"Are you going? So early?" Lisa looks a little drunk, but the way she says it, it's so funny that I end up laughing and she smiles. I realize that Jennie is beside her, but I decide to ignore her.

"Yes, Sehun and I are tired." I snuggle up to him who hugs me sideways "It was good to see you, Lisa, I hope we meet more often, you seem to be fun." I nod before pulling Sehun.