28// Painful Memory

"Maa, have you seen Ishita?" I ask when I don't see my wife for a long time

"She hasn't come downstairs yet." Maa replies while going back to attend to the guests.

I have been noticing that Ishita is not looking good. Actually, if I say the truth then I would say she looks very scared. So scared that she doesn't even want to be around anywhere and maybe that's why she has gone upstairs. But what or who can make her scared? Because everyone is here to celebrate the festival of lights. Still I think that something is definitely bothering her but the question is what it is.

Suddenly, a neighboring kid runs inside the living room while tears run down his face.

"Vishal, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" I ask because a few minutes ago he was happily playing with other kids in the backyard of our house.

"Ishita Aunty..." That's all he says and burst into loud cries making me panic.

"What about her? Buddy, please tell me." I let out while wiping his tears.

"Uncle, I just saw her falling from the roof." I feel like someone has poured cold water on me as I am unable to move from my place. But then I remember what the boy said and dash out of there to the backyard where the incident has happened.

I stop dead in my track when my eyes fall on my Ishita who has blood around her head and her mouth. For the first time in my life, I am feeling this much scared that I don't know what to do.

"Ishu!" Gautam screams before rushing towards his sister along with others.

"What happened to you? Please open your eyes." Gautam says while holding Ishita's head on his lap.

"How all this happened we will talk about it later, now let's take Ishita to the hospital." Dad says trying to touch Ishita but Gautam doesn't let that happen.

"No one will touch my sister. I am capable of helping her." I am shocked by his outburst but don't say anything. Instead, I pick up my wife in my arms despite his protest and make my way out of the house.

I sit on the passenger side with Ishita on my lap while Lakshya drives the car. I have already put my handkerchief on the back of her head to stop the bleeding but the cut is too deep to work with a single handkerchief. I feel a tear roll down my face but I don't bother to wipe it because right now I don't care who is seeing me crying over my bleeding wife.

Soon enough we reach the hospital and I make my way inside with Ishita in my arms. The doctor is already waiting for us so I think Dad must have informed him about our arrival. They take her inside but don't let me go with them. I want to protest saying that she will be scared without me but I know that I can't break the protocol and also, I have to be the responsible one.

Everyone has reached here but I am only looking at Gautam who is having a fit of his anger. I don't know why he is blaming us but there is definitely something that we don't know. Suddenly he grabs me by the collar and tries to punch me but Aarav holds his hand while I give him a look of confusion.