10//He Is Not Bad

"Phui, please pick up the call

"Phui, please pick up the call." I mumble while pacing back and forth in the kitchen but to my disappointment, she doesn't pick up the call. I think she is in the airport with others on the way to Mumbai for the reception party. But I need her help because I'm stuck in a big problem and I don't know how to get out of it.

Maa has asked me to make Kheer(rice pudding) for my first rasoi ceremony and when she told me that she will help me, I have told her that I can make it by myself. However, in reality I don't know how to make the dish. Also, my mobile internet speed is very slow so I am not able to see any youtube video to get help. That's why I am trying to contact anyone from my family but I don't have any luck in that too.

I look at the kitchen island which was clean before but now it looks like someone has destroyed it because there are so many things that are laying here and there. I think for sometime before picking up the bowl of rice and rinsing it out with water. Then I start to boil the milk and put a handful of sugar. After that I put the rice in the boiling milk and steer it with a ladle. Hopefully whatever I am doing is alright.

"Bhabhi, is the kheer ready?" Lakshya bhaiya asks coming inside the kitchen.

"Maybe." I reply timidly.

"What do you mean by maybe? And why are you looking so tensed?" He asks worriedly. He is very gentle with me from the start and I feel very comfortable with him. So, I have decided to tell him my dilemma.

"Actually, I only know simple things to make. Like coffee, tea, noodles, sandwiches etc so I am struggling to make kheer." I let out making his eyes widen comically. But then he clears his throat and smiles at me.

"It's okay bhabhi. I will help you." He says surprising me.

"You? Do you know how to cook kheer?" I ask not believing him.

"Of course I know. Mom has taught me and Rudra bhaiya to cook because she wants us to become independent in everything." He replies making me nod my head in understanding. So, my husband also knows cooking.

"But first let me taste the kheer you are making." He says while picking a little kheer in a spoon before blowing air to get rid of the steam. He then puts the spoonful kheer in his mouth making me bite my lip to see his reaction. But then he makes a disgusting face before spitting out the kheer in the sink and clean his mouth with water.

"What's wrong?" I ask in panic.

"Thank God I come here or you would be in big trouble in front of our guests. There is no sugar, instead there is salt in the kheer." He informs me while I hang my head low in shame.

"Bhabhi, don't feel bad. It's okay to make mistake but we are here with. Now, come on we don't have much time to make the dish." He says gently making me smile. He then starts to instruct me what to do and I follow his lead. It only takes twenty minutes for us to prepare the kheer this time and by the smell, I know that the kheer is going to taste very good.