CHAPTER 6

After a good 30 minutes of walking around the castle and being lost, Jaiden finally arrived at the front of the phoenix statue. She was told by one of the living paintings, which she was shocked to find out, that the phoenix statue was the entrance to Dumbledore's office.

She scanned around the place and frowned when she saw no door. She huffed in frustration.

"Shouldn't that old man at least tell me how to get in?" She mumbled to herself while still looking around. "What's with the chocolate frog, anyway?"

Out of a sudden, she heard a groaning sound coming from the statue and it caused her to yelp in shock. She watched with wide eyes as the phoenix started to move and slowly showed the stairs leading up.

"Do I go up?" She asked while looking at the bird then realised that she was talking to a non-living thing. "Stupid." She said to herself before walking up the stairs slowly. After reaching the top, she finally found the door. It made her mumbled in annoyance how extra the entrance had to be.

"Come in." She heard Dumbledore's voice from the other side of the room after she knocked twice. She opened the door and the first thing she saw was Dumbledore sitting behind his desk while writing something.

He looked up, "Miss Rookwood. I've been waiting. Come and sit here." He pointed a chair across his desk.

Jaiden took her moment to look around the room. The room was a large circular one. There were probably thousands of paintings in that room and some other artefacts that Jaiden had never seen. She also noticed a big bird sitting on its perch while staring at her. She smiled upon looking at the phoenix before taking the seat across from Dumbledore. After a few moments of silence, Dumbledore spoke.

"Do you have any idea why I called you to my office?" Dumbledore asked for the starter. Jaiden shook her head, waiting patiently for Dumbledore to explain.

"It's about your transformation. Now, there's nothing to worry about. It is all sorted. I have assigned you your very own dormitory. I, also, have specialised the room to be in a soundproofed position every time your transformation takes place. There are no chances that any of the students would find out." The headmaster explained with a small smile.

Jaiden took the news with joy. She smiled back at Dumbledore, knowing he'd helped her like he promised.

"Thank you, professor. I owed you one."

"Not quite right," He mumbled and it was loud enough for Jaiden to hear. Dumbledore noticed the girl was about to ask him a question but he dismissed her right before she could. "That's all for now. You may leave."

She nodded nonetheless and stood up but something was bugging her. You need to ask him. Came a voice from the back of her head and she knew it was her own. Every time she wants to ask him, she always forgets.

"Professor?"

"Yes?"

"A few weeks before you took me to the train station, you told me about my father, right?"

"Yes."

"And you said he is very smart, kind and some sort of thing about him. But what do you mean by 'is'? I thought he was dead."

Dumbledore smiled sadly and said, "He's not dead, Jaiden. He's alive."

"W-where is he?" She stuttered.

"Closer than you think," Dumbledore replied.

The room became silent. Suddenly, things just didn't add up. The world felt unreal for her. After all this time she thought her father was dead. Her mother said so. Had she been lying to her? Why did she lie? Where is her father? Where was he when her mother died? Why wasn't he there? Where is he when she needed to survive two years on her own?