Ch.4 - With Fear, Comes Regret

My mother pinches my side after hearing what I had mumbled. "Hello father." I state without any form of excitement and proceeded to walk away from them both.

Morris turns to Kate. "What wrong with him? " She faces him, eying him in annoyance. "Take a wild guess Morris. He doesn't even want to be here, and I forced him to come." she said. "Ahh. Understood." he uttered. "Well, uh Kate. Thanks for allowing him to even stay here with me in the first place. I could really use this do over." Morris sheepishly mentions to her.

"Yeah, well, you are his father so." she replies. "You're right. He is mine...unless you're hinting otherwise since you only allow me to see him once every blue moon." Morris foolishly assumes. His faced is suddenly flushed with anger. "Excuse me?!" Kate shrieks. "You better be glad you even get to see him at all after what you did! Once in a blue moon my ass! " She expresses. "Oh bullshit! It's been 19 years now Kate! I've done my jail time for what I did." Morris shouts to the top of his lungs, startling Kate.

"19 years of pain and AGONY Morris! 19 years! And if it's one thing I WILL not do, is teach you how to be a man OR teach you how to be a responsible father!" Shouts back, with tears forming in her eyes. Morris stands there speechless, baffled by Kates lash out. She then takes a moment to regather her thoughts before speaking again. "Have fun spending time with the young man who grew to resent you due to your own mistakes." she uttered to him before taking off.

"Kate! Wait!" he called out to her. She turns around once more. Without using any words, her posture questioned what he may have wanted. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have lashed out on you the way I just did. It was uncalled for and shouldn't have taken my frustration out on you. Despite our differences or past, I uh- I still love you. That has never changed, and I just wanted to say that um...I hope pops gets better. Have a safe trip." He sorrowfully expresses to her. Kate looks down on the ground, trying her hardest to hold back the tears that began forming before Morris. "Thank you. I uh...I really appreciate that." she says to him, refusing to give eye contact.

Deep down, Morris had hoped she'd say the words back, and although Kate wanted to, she couldn't bring herself to do so without emotions taking over. She and Morris were now living their lives separately and have been for a while. She had to take into consideration that he now had a new family. Even though her love for Morris never faded after all those years, she simply just couldn't bring herself to cause another woman that hurt. 

INSIDE OF MORRIS' HOME

"DEVIN !!" Madison shouts, approaching him with her arms wide open. "Madison." He blandly states, folding both arms. "We are SO happy that you are staying with us! Alia has missed you so much! " She says.

"Where is alia? " He asks. "She might be asleep. If not, she may just be relaxing in her room." Madison answers. "Ok, well, I'm going to go up and relax myself as well. I have to wake up early." He tells her. "No problem! Go ahead! Goodnight son!" she exclaims, as Devin turns his back to her. His movements come to a stop as he made his way up the stairs. "I'm not your son. " He mumbles under his breath before going along his way.

"Wait just a second Dev." Morris calls out. "You don't have the right to call me that...Morris." Devin grunts. "Please son, can we speak for a just a few minutes? " Morris asks.

It took a few seconds for Devin to respond. He contemplated on whether or not he wanted to give his father an opportunity to talk to him any more than he already has. "About? " He asks. Morris clams up. He expected Devin to completely ignore him and go about his business. "I uh- I just wanted to tell you that I am happy to see you. Words cannot express how excited I am to have you here spending time with us. It really means a lot." He responds, rubbing the back of his neck.