Ch. 14 - A Snake In The Grass

THE NEXT MORNING (MORRIS' HOME)

*Devin walks through the front door*

"DEVIN! Where the hell have you been all night !? I've been up worrying about what might've happened !" Morris shouts from the living room as Devin approached the area in which he stood.

"I spent the night at Keilan's." Devin replies with glowing eyes. "Well don't you look refreshed." Morris sarcastically points out. Devin shrugs his shoulders with a small smirk on his face and heads toward the kitchen refrigerator. "You could've at least called and said something." He says to Devin. " Now why would I do that ?" Devin asks, while crossing his arms and shifting his eyes to the right. "You might try to follow me around Morris." Devin Jokes. "Maybe even do some 'research'." He air quotes.

Morris scoffs at Devin's remarks. "Wha-...What do you mean 'WHY' ? and what are you talking about ? " He questions. "You would CALL because I'm your parent, you're staying at my house for the time being and I need to be sure that you're safe!" Morris explains. *Devin bursts into laughter*

While Morris stands in confusion, Devin carries on.

As his laughing begins to come to a stop, he finally takes the time to say, "Oh PLEASE! " *Devin continues to giggle at his thoughts* "All of a sudden you care about my safety...after all of these years...right." He mumbles to himself. Morris stands in silence for a few seconds. "WHY is it that we can never have a simple conversation without you dwelling on the past!? I'm here now! And I wanted to be then !" Morris expresses in a loud manner. "YOU WANT TO HAVE A CONVERSATION DAD !? LET'S HAVE A CONVERSATION !" Devin demands, slamming his phone on the counter. "HOW did you find out who Genesis' family were and what happened with you and her mom that you're making demands for me to stay away from her!?..since I'm the one who can't stop dwelling on the past." Devin questions out of annoyance. His mood shifted quick.

Morris remains in shock for a few moments. "Genesis and her mother share a strong resemblance. All I did was make sure she was the child of who I assumed she must have been." Morris replies. "And so you go looking her up and digging into someone else's personal life because you thought she resembled an old fling !?" Devin shouts across the room in disbelief. "Yes! I needed to know for sure." Morris answers.

Devin and his father stand still, having a stare down.

Devin finally breaks the silence. "Tell me something dad. Why is it such a big deal that she's you're ex girlfriends child and why do I have to stay away from her ? Is she my half sister or something ?" He then asks Morris. Morris doesn't answer him. "You always want answers to your questions right? Now I want answers to mine." Devin makes known. "What happened with you and Genesis' mom? " He asks again. Morris inhales and exhales sharply, still refusing to answer his sons questions. "Devin, I don't have time for this right now." He mumbles. Devin turns around. "Now you don't have time for this, but you had time a few days ago." Devin apathetically states. "Devin...give it a rest. Madison, Alia and I are going out to eat for breakfast. You're more than welcome to come if you'd like." Morris informs Devin.

Devin doesn't bother to turn around and look at his father. "No thanks." He immediately rejects, grabbing food out of the fridge. Morris places his hands on his forehead and shakes his head. "Very well then." He quietly responds before walking away and leaving Devin in the kitchen by himself.

As Morris exits the room, Devin stops what he's doing and quickly glances behind him, watching his father walk away. "What the fuck is he hiding." Devin mumbles under his breath.