{36} Tough Decisions

"Look. Isn't she pretty? My friend gave it to me before they left," Sophia held up her ragdoll that had been stitched back together and scrubbed. She beamed up at Willow, tiny legs underneath the thin sheets. Her blonde hair that had been mangled now brushed and trimmed to her liking. Despite everything Sophia had been through, she still held her happy-go-lucky personality. The light in her blue eyes shined even brighter than before.

Willow sat at the edge of the bed, smoothing the doll's fabric hair with a smile on her face. Sophia nudged herself at the side of Willow, allowing the latter to wrap her arm around her small shoulders.

"Mama cleaned her up for me," Sophia hummed, looking over to Carol, who sat beside the bed.

"I'm happy you two are reunited again," Willow says. "I bet she missed you."

Sophia nods, squeezing the doll tight.

Perhaps this moment is precisely what Willow needed. Some time away from arguments and protecting those around her. Sophia gave Hunter some peace as she watched the young girl slip into a soft slumber.

Willow sat beside Sophia's bed, stroking her blonde hair away from her pale face. The young girl slept with her doll in her arms. Restful at last. Carol watched from the other side, closing the book she had been reading to Sophia. With a gentle smile, the mother tucked her daughter in with care. Allowing the wood to creak with every movement.

"She survived," Willow whispered, remembering the Poison Ivy story Daryl told her many nights ago. While others cast doubt, he spoke the truth of Sophia's survival. Willow began to wonder about the solution to this if it were to happen again. A solution that could save them entirely. "Might I ask -"

Carol raised her gaze away from Sophia to study Willow. Her brows lifted.

"-  I think Sophia should learn how to use weapons. To protect herself. She was lucky to come across Aya and -" Willow leveled her gaze with Carol's. "I want to teach Sophia how to use the bow."

At first, Carol sat in her seat with a look of shock upon her delicate features. Then, after a moment of thought, she clears her throat.

"You are right, " Carol placed the book onto her lap, resting her right palm against the hardcover. "Before, I would have said no. Just like Lori says about Carl. She wants to keep him innocent, but this world isn't the same. If Aya hadn't been out there, Sophia could have died, and I can't even imagine that happening to her."

"So, " Willow perked upward, her brows raised. "So, you will let me..."

"Sophia's daddy was a terrible man. He died just as he should have; brutal and painful. I don't want anyone to hurt her as he did me. Teach Sophia what I can't."

Willow began to smile with compassion as her fingers still smooth down Sophia's hairline. While the once lawyer replaced her thoughtful gaze onto the sleeping child, Carol kept her silver eyes on Willow. She was thinking many things over in silence and contemplating the best option for the future.

***

Willow picked up a few branches, giving them a look before deciding the items were too brittle or too thin. With Glenn's help, the pair searched for wood to create Sophia her first bow. As Willow knelt to pick up another branch, Glenn took off his hat and swatted away a few bugs. Then, he looked over to examine Willow.

She didn't exactly agree to his offer of helping. The woman grunted as he questioned what she was doing. From what he could tell, they were looking for a branch that could be used for one reason or another. This was his way to pay back Willow for what he believed he had done. Although his leaving her behind wasn't exactly his fault, Glenn still felt terrible. As if his life meant more than hers, that's not how the group should act.