{8} Count Down.

"Sometimes even to live is an act of courage."

~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca.

~×~

Time is running out, quick. I can feel my heart pound against my chest. Holding the gun Rick spared me in hand. While the others went back into their room to digest what Edwin Jenner had told us. Rick, Glenn, T-Dog, Shane, and I ran down the flight of stairs. Entering the basement.

"Decontamination? What does that mean?" Glenn questions breathlessly, walking swiftly behind me with a flashlight in hand.

"It means we blow up, Glenn," I growl.

"We don't know that!" Rick scolds me from the front of our small group.

"I don't like how Jenner walked out on us like that," Shane adds his two cents.

"What's wrong with him? Seriously, man. Nuts, medicated, or what?" T-Dog complains to no one in particular. Just to anyone who would listen.

We stop at the end of the steps, noticing a map hanging across the pasty white walls. Rick gives a quick look before turning to his right. "In there," he says, shinning his light down the dark hallway.

We follow behind him. Stumbling through the hallway. Flashlights guiding us. We finally reach a door, reading; 'Basement Generators'. Rick push open the heavy door and makes his way in with his flashlight. As soon as his foot hit the room floor, the lights flicker on. Sounds of the power hum with delight.

Glenn, T-Dog, and I split off from Rick and Shane. We check the fuel tanks, but they are all empty. My eyes fall onto Glenn and T-Dog with concern. Before the two could comment, the power shuts down. Leaving us in the dark.

"Emergency lights 'on'," Vi's voice rang in my ears, as the floodlights switched on.

Glenn and T-Dog use their flashlights to guide us. "Anything?" I yell back towards Rick. We attempt to find our way back.

"Yeah, a lot of dead generators and more empty fuel drums than I can count," Shane spat. "It can't be down to just that one!"

Back up in the Big Room, everyone crowd Jenner. Questions upon questions are unanswered. The power is not only down in the basement but in our rooms. As well as the Big Room.

Nervous sweat rolls down my forehead. My hands are now clammy around my weapon. Whatever is happening, it is happening fast. There is simply nothing we can do to stop this decontamination. And if my theory is correct, we will be nothing but ashes when that clock hits zero.

Jenner is now dressed in a white button-up shirt and black slacks. He wore his lab coat and badge. Hair combed and gelled back. Face shaven and neat.

What in the hell is getting all dressed up for? Death?

"Jenner, what's happening?" Rick hissed.

"The system is dropping all nonessential uses of power. It's designed to keep computers running to the last possible second." Edwin explains. He walks in front of us with a bottle of wine in hand. "That started as we approached the half-hour mark. Right on schedule."