{38} Goodbye, Friend.

Luna's Notes:

Thank you for helping me reach 900 votes!
You guys make me smile every day, and I love you all for it!

———

WEEKS EARLIER...

"The stars," Dale spoke in a hushed tone. His voice is husky yet gentle. The older man sat on top of his RV with his back leaning against the lawn chair mounted on the roof. Willow paused her pacing, lowering her hand from her face to see Dale looking up. She couldn't understand why the man seemed to be calm during a time like this. The group is split; Sophia is still out there, food is low, and they are stuck in the middle of nowhere.

The dinner bell might as well be ringing.

"Look up! Enjoy some positivity for once," Dale tells Willow once he notices the once lawyer looking at him strangely. Willow gives in once Dale waves for her to sit; she sits at the edge of the RV to look up at the stars.

With no light pollution, she could see the stars and shooting stars. Willow had seen them on photographs and video, but she never got the chance to experience such a sight. In a way, as Dale points out the constellations, Willow held some gratitude for Dale's willingness to see more than just the brutal reality.

"Isn't it beautiful," Dale grinned.

Willow hummed, swinging her feet.

"Sometimes, the universe has its way of doing things. Even when we don't understand, it writes out our fate with willingness for good."

Willow tilts her head to look over at Dale with an amused look upon her face.

"What does that mean?" She questioned with a tickled tone in her query.

Dale met Willow's gaze, chuckling at his foolish wording. Scratching the side of his beard, Dale looked up at the stars yet again.

"What I mean is, we will find Sophia, and all will be well. No matter if the world has fallen. Not everything should be blamed on one individual."

Just for a second, Willow had forgotten - until Dale reminded her. Willow stood back to her feet, wishing she could be like Dale. Hopeful in the darkness. With his eyes trained on a pacing Willow, Dale wished he could take away that guilt. He knew all too well.

The sound of Daryl's voice catches their attention moments later. A shaky sigh escapes from Willow as the pacing halts. With curiosity, Hunter peeks down from the rooftop, listening to Dixon stomp from out of the RV. Her eyes glisten as the light from his flashlight flicker up at the pair.

"I'm gonna stalk up and down the road. Just in case."

Dale only nods, and Daryl leaves. Willow stood in place for a period, watching Daryl walk between cars. Placing her curved bow onto the corner of her shoulder, she snatches up her flashlight from the water cooler.

"I'm going with him. I can't just sit here anymore. You fine keeping watch alone?" Willow asked Dale.

Dale looks at her with some thought, holding his binoculars rather tightly, "Be careful."