{7} Lifeless Vortex.

"Are you in there? If not here, then where'd you go?
They say the living are on Earth and the dead are out,
But where are those trapped in-between high and low?
Where exactly are you wandering about?"

~ Karl Kristian Flores.

~×~

The next morning, my cheek still ached something awful. Not only did my cheek feel as if it had split in two, but my head also throbbed from the wine. The image of Shane and Lori seemingly burn deep into my brain. Not enough alcohol could get those two out of my head.

While pulling on a fresh pair of jeans, I think of Rick. That poor man did not know what went down last night. His own best friend and wife, how sickening. Rick might be clever, but he was a damn fool to think Shane is good for anyone.

And Dixon? What exactly is his problem? Last night something inside of Dixon wanted to scream. Pull, push, and scream. Those eyes filled with grief. He couldn't have been just drunk - those cat eyes were red due to tears as well. What exactly could Dixon be sad about?

Merle Dixon? Maybe. The end of the fucking world? I can't tell.

Deep down, I feel for him. Why? I can't tell that either.

My thoughts get the best of me; I continue to pull on a grey tank top over my naked torso and drape a button-up shirt onto my shoulders. Leaving it unbuttoned. Stepping out of my room, I roll up the sleeves of my button-up, Carol and Sophia also make their way from their room. Hands held tightly together like always.

The first thing Carol saw was my cheek - that friendly smile fades and she nears me to get a better look. I can tell what she is thinking. What everyone else will think once I join them for breakfast.

"What happened to your face?" Carol points at her cheek, sizing up my bruise with her silver eyes.

"Oh," I start whilst pushing my wavy hair into my usual ponytail. "Let's not talk about that now, huh? I'm starving." I suggest before forcing a smile.

Carol gives a questionable stare but mouths an 'okay' before telling Sophia to hurry so they wouldn't miss breakfast. I follow the mother and daughter duo in silence, wishing inside my head that I minded my own business last night.

When the three of us made it into the dining room, most of our group was already seated. No one barely spoke a word as we sat down to join them. We are all hungover or too exhausted to speak.

Glenn is hunched over, eyeing his bowl of oatmeal, baseball cap on the table. Both hands held clumps of his hair. Jackie sat beside him. Rubbing his back, whispering comforting words.

Lori sat in between Rick and Carl. She ducks her eyes from my own as soon as I sat down across from her. Poking her eggs in misery.

Jodie, my lord, and savor push a plate full of eggs and bacon in front of me. She studies my cheek as she does so.