Epilogue

A DEEP SENSE OF SHOCK took over his soul as his fingers removed a folded-up photograph of a family. The edges poked from a school bag, that had been dyed with blood and dirt. It once belonged to Jodie Hunter, the younger sister of Willow Hunter. But the man with shoulder-length brown hair did not know this as he searched the living room of what looked like an abandoned farm. Caeser Martinez had seen what looked like a cloud of smoke days prior during a scouting trip. Once the dead had relocated to find fresh food, the small group belonging to Woodbury cautiously made their way through the landscape.

Whoever was here before, had managed to escape. Merle spoke of tire marks going up the road, footprints that appeared to be of the living indicated few got out, others had not.

While the group searched, they found the chard remains of the barn and a melted R.V... Graves sat not too far from the once building, suggesting that the people before them had been here for some time.

William Hunter stood in the middle of the stale living room, gripping the photograph tightly. His bright green eyes blinked once and then twice. A mirror of his younger self smiled back at him. Just at the start of his sanity slipping from his grasp and the voices began to take hold. Yet, at this point in his life, William did not know he would no longer be the loving husband and father he once was years after this photo had been taken.

Beside him, smiling back, his late wife looked beautiful and healthy — holding an infant Jodie. And sitting beside her, was a miserable ten-year-old, Willow. Her wavy hair had been braided back so tight, that she complained that she could feel her heartthrob through her head. His wife simply told the young girl to stop crying:

"Keep your hair like that for two hours. That's it. Don't suck your teeth at me."

Will remembered that day as if it had happened just yesterday. A memory such as this one should bring a father satisfaction. His family was alive. Somewhere out there, thriving. Yet, instead of pure joy, his nostrils began to flair. A surge of anger brews in the middle of his chest. Somehow, during these cruel times, both sisters or one might have wiggled through the grim reaper's fingers.

"I got the black one loading up the supplies I found in the kitchen —" Merle began, only to stop as the screen door swung shut behind him. He squints his eyes, confused by Hunter's eerie stance. "What? You find somethin'?"

Will raised his head, coming back to their current reality. Breathing in deeply, Will dropped the photograph on top of the bag. With a grimace, the tall man snatched up his bow from the sofa and spun his heels to face a confused one-handed Merle Dixon.

Although he looked at Merle, that glare told the older Dixon that he looked right through him. Something deeply took root in his mental focus. Not an everyday thing for a man like Hunter.

"They are alive and I'm going to kill 'em."

Is the only thing Will spoke before stomping out of the Greene's home. Pushing past Merle without any apologies. Still baffled by his comrade's strange behavior and tone, Merle slowly peered over at the school bag and photograph that lay there lopsided. With a few steps, Merle tilts his head to see the smiling faces in the photograph. After a moment of recognition, his only hand picked up the image. Not a second went by as Merle pieced together the puzzle.

"Well, well. Ain't that a bitch."

    [ END... ]

Thank you for reading "Anguish"! Thank you for the comments, ideas, and encouragement. It's been a long road but we've made it.
There were a lot of events, mentions, and concepts that were not explained or written in this book, but I plan to continue in the second book, "Ashes" to clear up any missing links.

This book to years to finish due to personal problems in my life, but a lot of you kept me going! The love for Willow means a lot to me!
She's been a big original character for over a decade for me. So any love for Willow makes my stomach fill with butterflies. ♥︎
Thank you all for being supportive!

"Ashes" will be posted soon...I will post an update on here to let you all know once the first few chapters are up. Editing for "Anguish" is still taking place, but no chapters will be taken down.

If you have any comments, questions, or ideas please comment and/or private message me.

- Luna ( melodyxriddle )