{9} Risk.

"Never was anything great achieved without danger."

~ Niccolo Machiavelli.

~×~

"Can you at least talk to me?" Jodie begs as my hands scavenge for aspirin and other pills that might help. The empty pharmacy is nearly empty; completely cleaned out by others. Anything that I believe to be useful, I throw into my bag.

"You're supposed to be my lookout," I say over my shoulder.

Jodie gives out a frustrated groan and starts for the front of the pharmacy.

"I'm sorry..." Jodie says lowly.

I continue to shove bottles into my bag.

"I just. I had a moment of weakness. The thought of dying - it just felt right. This world isn't for me. But you - you belong in this world."

A sigh escapes my lips. Pushing myself up from the floor, bag in hand, I turn to face Jodie.

"What the fuck does that mean?" I question.

Jodie shook her head and shrugs. Of course, she says one thing and never explains what she means. I'm upset that she wanted to commit suicide, I'm upset that she never explained this fact to me. But to say I belong here. In this cold and horrible world, my stomach churns.

T-Dog walks on the outside of the pharmacy and bangs against the glass to signal it is time to leave.

Pushing the now heavy bag onto my shoulders, I move for the front. "We will speak about this later but for now - stop apologizing," I speak swiftly.

Jodie nods her head and slips out the door without another word.

Jenner and the CDC are gone. What we thought to be our new home was nothing but a death trap. One of our own made that decision to stay behind with Jenner. The insane doctor. We are on our own now, back on the road. Our destination? Fort Benning.

But to get there, we need fuel, food, and anything else that could be used. So, here we are. On the outskirts of Atlanta. Stealing fuel from abandoned cars and raiding small shops that are bone dry with supplies. I suppose it isn't called stealing if there is no one to steal these items from.

Jodie makes her way back to the RV while I split my findings with Rick. He thanks me before going back to his duties. Lori stood beside him. She gives me a nod of approval and I turn away. What happened with Shane still tickles my brain. Even after nearly being blown up, and almost losing my insane sister. Seeing Shane try to push himself onto Lori shook my core. I've dealt with enough scumbags in my career to know Shane is one.

Why can't Rick see that?

With the straps securely strapped upon my shoulders, I start for the RV myself. And as I place one foot onto the first step, a glint catches my eye. Ten feet away, Daryl fumbles with the motorcycle attached to the bed of his blue pickup truck.