{28} Chaotic Shane.

Back at camp, after a long silent ride home, Willow kept her distance from everyone. Jodie so often offered an ear but Willow simply kept her thoughts to herself. The idea of kissing that man and believing something could happen brought her to shame. This isn't a fairytale where everything changes for the best. This a nightmare and in nightmares characters don't get to kiss and have a happy ending. Willow knew that much.

Yet, she still held onto that sliver of hope for something better. Not Daryl's brutal reaction.

Daryl also kept their thoughtless moment to himself. Rick saw their distance from the other and thought perhaps the two had yet another fight. But this time, their arm's length attitude made even Grimes a bit on edge. Their bickering can make anyone want to cover their ears and be swallowed by the mouths of walkers.

Still, Rick kept his concerns close to his heart and quickly buried his eyes onto his wife and young son.

The heat no longer bothered Willow as she brushed sharp grass from off of her palms. A hint of autumn revealed itself this day and the older Hunter is grateful for it as she finished her chores. The soft breeze overshadowed the blistering sun, and the large tree near camp kept those who slept outside pleasant. Her sapphire eyes fall onto Daryl as she reached for an empty bucket. The man she shared an innocent kiss with stomped from the barn. His gaze elsewhere but his face completely twisted due to shame.

Willow thought he would say something to her, anything to ease her heartbreak, yet Daryl simply walks past her without batting a lash. Not even a sideways glance. Nothing.

As she rolled up the sleeves of her plaid shirt, Willow decided that what she thought to happen was nothing more but one-sided feelings. Why would she allow herself to fall for a Dixon's trick? Those people aren't capable of emotions. Not one. She reckoned her feelings are nothing more but desperation. He is the last man she can turn to now that she spent her adulthood alone. God has a funny way of treating his children.

"Willow," Dale stepped in front of the firepit. His hands twist his fishermen's hat with anxiety.

"Yes?" Willow took the empty bucket by the handle, sending a false smile towards her companion. "How can I help you?"

Dale's aging eyes dart to the bucket Willow held as he thinks over what is the best way to speak what itched his brain.

"Is it about Andrea? We've already spoken and -"

"No," Dale clears his throat, replacing his chilling gaze onto Willow. "It isn't about Andrea. It is about Shane. Take a walk with me?"

****

Down the dirt road leading away from the farm, Dale and Willow walk side by side in silence. The bucket she held sway as the bottom of her boot kick up dust. When they near the gate, the two admire the golden fields. Forgetting what exactly needed to be spoken about. It wasn't until Dale cleared his throat did Willow rip her gaze away from the field. Recalling their topic; Shane.

"Willow, you're a smart young woman. And I know, you know, Shane can not be trusted. I think Shane might have killed Otis."

Shocked by Dale's accusation, Willow lowers the bucket to the ground next to her feet. She crosses her arms over her chest, giving his words some thought. For the longest, she began to suspect only she saw what Shane might have done to that poor man. No matter how Shane explained how the events unfolded, Willow saw a glimpse of untold truths in his brown eyes.

"You can see it too, don't you?" Dale questions after studying Willow's stern expression.

"I've always seen something in Shane. Something Rick wants to ignore," Willow talks swiftly, checking their surroundings to make sure no one is listening.