{29} Goodbye.

Everything around Willow began to swirl into one endless slideshow. Her breathing grew louder, and every sound becomes distant. Incoherent.

The soles of her boots felt as if they are glued to the ground. The sweat dripping from her palms increase. Willow's lips part as her eyes stings with freshly brewed tears. Ears grow warm, and this feeling - this hopeless feeling - squeezes at her heart to the breaking point.

The tall figure loomed in the shadows inside of the barn. With a low growl, one foot steps out into the sunlight, and then the other. With a clumsy shuffle forward, the figure shows itself. Bowing its head from the harsh sun rays.

Once tight curls now sat atop of his head like a crow's nest. Blood from the large bite mark sitting at the arch between his neck and shoulder stained his grayish dark complexion. Adjusting from the bright sunlight, the man walker snaps its head up towards the group in front of him.

Showing his teeth, the man lets out a groan. Ready to sink them into our flesh.

What used to be bright brown eyes are now placed with lifeless transparency.

All of the hoping for Jodie's sake. All of the praying that Anthony was out there somewhere with his family. Away from the clutches of death and surviving as if this was all second nature to him. Staying strong and keeping himself alive. All of it wrong. And then it hit Willow. If Anthony - a strong young man with flexibility and street smarts - couldn't survive, how could Sophia?

"Anthony!" Jodie's cries slice through Willow's cluttered thoughts.

Jodie dash past her sister. Forgetting that Anthony was gone. Like Edwin had said before, everything that was once you - all of it was gone once you died. There is no coming back. No matter what Jodie may or may not believe. No one comes back.

Daryl swiftly pulls Jodie into his clutch, pulling her into his arms. The young woman falls with a small whimper. Hand reaching out for her once lover. Tears falling down her dirty cheek. Making a noticeable trail down her face. Daryl had fallen with her, watching Anthony in silence. No one other than the Hunters knew who this kid was before, but that didn't mean Daryl felt some sense of sympathy.

Willow recognizes the gun still wrapped underneath her thin fingers. She glimpses down towards the silver firearm. Licking her dry lips whilst giving the handle a tight squeeze.

She took one look around her, studying everyone who kept their weary eyes on Anthony. Even the Greene's kept their eyes on the once star athlete. Shocked by his frail appearance. Rick stood a few feet away from Willow, giving his companion a moment to process who is truly in front of them.

Willow is shell shocked. Jodie a mess of personal emotions.

Finally, Willow steps forward, her eyes pull onto what used to be Anthony. He inches closer, snapping his yellowish teeth and groaning for the taste of warm flesh. No one will ever understand what drives these things to travel mindlessly. Fueled by this endless hunger. All they knew in this world, that getting bit meant death and there weren't any chances of being cured.

"I am sorry, Anthony." Willow whispers.

She raised her trembling arm holding the pistol at the end of it. Index finger cover over the trigger, awaiting the right moment, however, something stops her from complete the task. Her mouth gaped open as the tears suddenly push against her bottom lids.

The realization that she did truly love Anthony like a brother. Despite their rocky relationship in the beginning and the fear of Jodie ruining her life for him, all of it washed away by time and acknowledgment. This man was supposed to be her future brother in law. It also occurred to Willow: what would she feel if Daryl had died long before she knew it. Perhaps the range of emotions wasn't on the same level, but what if?

Willow's whole body trembles with revert and agony. Both her legs wobble. Trying their best to keep her from falling alongside Daryl and Jodie.

She could run away and never come back. Forget this farm. These people, and never come back. But, something inside of Willow - wants her to stay. To end this hurt her little sister is feeling. Willow must be the one to pull the trigger and finally close the chapter on at least this mystery.

Yet, as Anthony moves closer to her, Willow can't seem to pull the trigger.

A hand suddenly lowers her weapon, she locks bee tearful eyes onto the person that hand belonged to. Rick nods his head as he slides his python from out of its holster. Telepathically telling his friend:

"It's okay. I got this."

Moving back, allowing herself to cry, Willow watched as Rick stands in her place. Just as she did before, Rick mimics the motion. Raising the barrel towards Anthony's head. Instead of taking a pause such as Willow, Rick pulls the trigger. Ending Anthony's story with a is gel bullet.

Anthony's body crumbles to the ground. Letting out a gasp before hitting the surface.

What would is this if the innocent can be taken away from the world without any warning. Without even an echo of a scream. There is no telling when Anthony had been bitten or when he was put in the barn, but it is clear she had been dead for a long time.

Anthony didn't have a chance. Not a fucking chance.

××

Hey guys!
First, update for this book in 2021.
Honestly, I made this chapter short and simple. Kind of rushed and thrown together because replacing Sophia with Anthony in this scene was difficult for me. I don't know why.

Anyways, happy (belated) new year's guys.
I'm almost to 400 votes.
🥺
Thank you everyone so much! I'm happy I have this much attention for this story. It means so much to me I want to low key cry. Even though it's a retelling of the show, you guys still seem to enjoy it.

Please remember to comment and vote !