Rule 8 | Don't fvcking check out your roommate!

"I DON'T HAVE to guess," Pushing my hands deep into my pockets, I quietly watched Y/N as she petulantly rolled her moist, angry eyes simmering with unconcealed resentment in a blatant display of mockery for what she thought to be my arrogance; ...

   "I DON'T HAVE to guess," Pushing my hands deep into my pockets, I quietly watched Y/N as she petulantly rolled her moist, angry eyes simmering with unconcealed resentment in a blatant display of mockery for what she thought to be my arrogance; before wordlessly whipping around to walk in the opposite direction.

My jaw clenched.

She was running away again.

She had run away from the dorm; practically sprinted away from me in the hallway, avoided me like the plague until I had finally approached her in the convenience store, where she'd run away yet again; and here she was doing it now.

She was always running away.

And for some reason, it pissed me off. Her painfully annoying tendency of walking out on me in the middle of conversations, leaving my questions unanswered and my mind swimming with a thousand things unsaid, drove me mad to the brink of rage until I finally forced myself to think. What did we run from? What did we humans - the vulnerable, fallible, fearful beings that we all were - run from?

What made us lie to our closest allies, lose all morality and every speck of rationality within us, and abandon everything we'd ever known?

There was only one answer. And it flashed in front of my eyes, as clear as day.

Fear.

Fear that suffocated, disabled and debilitated.

Y/N was afraid of men.

She hadn't been lying when she said I was making her uncomfortable.

My breath left me in a whoosh as if someone had just punched me in the gut, my eyes fluttering up to focus on Y/N's retreating figure, her slight stature swamped by my shirt.

My favourite shirt that had never... never looked as good on me as it did on her.

"I don't have to guess, Y/N," I repeated, this time louder, making sure she heard certainty in my tone, not arrogance that she seemed to detest so much. "Because I think I already know." I finished my sentence albeit a little hesitantly, fully prepared for Y/N to whip around and burn holes into my soul with her blistering gaze while aggressively bombarding me with terse, reprimanding words that always managed to make me feel like shit.

However, my preparation was rendered useless when Y/N simply halted, coming face to face with me, her fists clenched defensively at her sides.

"Know what?" Her voice was small and wary, making her wide, liquidy eyes that kept flitting to and fro between my face and the buildings behind me look almost worried. "Don't waste my time if it's just another one of your thoughtless observations custom-made to insult me."

I let out an irritated sigh. "I said I'm sorry!"

"Well, it's not enough!"

"In that case, I'll apologise again till it is." I shot back, taking a step forward.