Rule 55 | Do not make your roommate cum in the living room.

HALF PAST ONE

HALF PAST ONE.

It was already ninety minutes past midnight and sleep still evaded me as I lay in the living room, sprawled on a mattress that Y/N's mother had laid out for me.

I couldn't say I was uncomfortable. The mattress was perfectly thick and the bedding soft and warm enough to induce a sound, restful sleep even during the slightly chilly autumn night, and yet I couldn't bring myself to get a wink of sleep.

There wasn't a single position comfortable enough to drive away my excruciating, almost desperate need to be physically touching the girl sleeping less than ten feet away from me, and lull me to sleep.

It was laughable how she was right there, at a ridiculously minuscule distance that I could cover in a split second were I allowed to, with nothing but a thin wall separating us. A trivial barrier that I would've normally thought nothing of if only it didn't feel like so much more.

I'd seen her less than three hours ago, when I'd silently walked into her mother's room hoping to quietly beckon her beautiful self outside for an innocent enough goodnight kiss that would get me through the night. But she'd already been fast asleep, all cozy and cocooned in the blanket, closely snuggled up next to her mother and looking so heart wrenchingly adorable that any idea of waking her up that I'd had in that moment had dissipated instantaneously from my head.

I knew how much she'd missed cuddling her mom to sleep every night, how difficult it'd been for her to make the change from sleeping with someone who loved her boundlessly to sleeping completely alone and how long truly restful sleep had evaded her. I knew it all. And she deserved to have this with her family.

Forget disturbing her, I hadn't even wanted to lay a finger on her. A rare first for me.

And the last too.

Because I truly wondered how many times I would cockblock myself in the future just because my wife looked like a fucking angel while sleeping, and how healthy it would be for me in the long run.

Not too healthy, clearly. Because the symptoms I was experiencing right now were not ones of a person with a sound health at all, and if the constant restlessness and the inability to stop thinking, silence the smug voice in my head and sleep was any indication, I'd probably be a madman before I was thirty.

Taking in a deep breath, I shut my eyes in a resolved manner. There was no way the situation was really this bad. Barring the last couple of weeks, I'd slept alone my entire life. I could do it again. I could.

So what if Y/N wasn't here for me to hold and lean into? I wasn't a fucking child and it was just one night.

But what if it wasn't?

Fuck, no, I didn't even want to think about that.

It was hard enough already trying to fall asleep while listlessly staring at the wood-panelled ceiling in the living room. It wasn't even artful. But as someone so used to gazing upon pure, unfiltered beauty every night before sleeping, it was the only thing close to being even slightly interesting in this otherwise minimally furnished space.