Chapter 18: Underground and Underlying Feelings (Part Three)

"LET'S get you out of here," Taehyung walked towards her and extended his hand. Jisoo just stared at him, her expression is hard to read. He felt a pang in his chest. It feels like his nightmares are coming true.

She did not reach to accept his offered hand.

He gulped. He closed his cold hand into a fist to prevent it from trembling. He did not want her to notice it so he took the initiative and held her arm loosely, like she could slip away any moment.

Even if she doesn't want him touching her anymore, he needs to get her out of the peering eyes of everyone. It is very dangerous for her.

No one was speaking between them as they almost reached the pathway to the roadside. It is already dark in the evening, he is not sure what time it is already. The place is surrounded by trees and shrubs with no nearby lamp posts so it is harder to see the surroundings.

Taehyung was absorbed in his thoughts and battling with himself until she stopped walking, making him halt in his tracks too. His back is facing her. His hand is still gripping loosely by her wrist.

"What's this place, Taehyung?" Jisoo asked.

He is afraid to look back.

He can't. He cannot afford to look at her.

Because he feels it.

Something changed.

He bit on his tongue before he tried to walk again, "It's dark, you need to go home," he whispered in a hush tone.

Yet before he could take another step...

She pulled her arm from his hold.

The force sent a burning feeling to him. It stung. It stung so hard that he could actually feel it physically. The ache in his chest made it hard for him to breathe.

Taehyung felt his world stop. Slowly, he looked back towards her.

And there it was... His nightmare.

Jisoo raised her eyes to meet his, "What's this place, Taehyung?" she repeated in a cold tone.

It echoed inside his head, he held his right arm firmly. He should not be shaking right now. Why is he shaking? She's just asking a question. Of course she would...

But what is he so frightened about?

Her eyes searched his hooded orbs but he did not answer. He cannot answer. Not yet, not this time. He just couldn't. He wasn't ready.

This is the very thing he is running away from.

He opened his mouth, "How did you get here?" Taehyung softly asks, with no strength in his voice, diverting the topic.

"I followed you earlier," Jisoo answered right away.

"I thought you understood," his voice was gradually getting lower, "I don't want you to look for me," he uttered in a quiet manner.