Chapter 13: Too Selfish (Part One)

"We ignored truths for temporary happiness." —Anonymous

**

HUMANS are selfish creatures.

We buy things to have them. We name stuff to own them. We take pictures of memories to keep them. All because we want them for ourselves.

Sometimes, we have an odd fascination with things we cannot have... Or we are not bound to have... Or we are not allowed to have— yet, we still crave for those things.

We crave for them and we reach for them... Just to have a taste for ourselves.

Even unconsciously, we are all selfish.

"You befriended who, again?!" Jisoo flinched as Lisa slammed her hands on the table. She bowed her head and stayed quiet.

They are currently at the convenience store. She sits beside Bona while Lisa and Hoseok are across from them. There are no customers around, they made sure it's dead hours.

"Lisa, chill. You are overreacting," Bona interjected awkwardly and tried to calm her friend.

Lisa turned her head towards her, "Seriously, Bona? Seriously?" she looked at her in disbelief. She licked her lips and exhaled. She looked around until her eyes settled on Hoseok, who was beside her.

Hoseok gulped secretly. He can feel himself sweating but he refused to meet her gaze. His eyes traveled anywhere else but her, humming softly to fake innocence.

Lisa poked his shoulder and he jumped a little. She put her hands on her waist, "You knew this and you let her?" her brow shot up.

Hoseok raised his hands in defeat, "Well, how can you say no to Jisoo?! Not like I had a choice! I tried my best to stop her!" he defended while doing exaggerated hand gestures, as if defending his thesis.

"You didn't try enough then," she smiled sarcastically and glared at him.

"Lisa..." Jisoo tried to interrupt but she quickly raised her hand, telling her to stop.

"No, don't start with that," she spat and glanced at Jisoo briefly.

"He may not be that—" Bona attempted to defend Jisoo but was cut when Lisa shifted her eyes to her. She almost felt chills because of her stares.

They went silent for a second until Lisa decided to sit. She massaged her temple before calmly staring at Jisoo who had a gloomy look on her face.

"Jisoo, I don't understand why you are doing this. Have you met him before? Is he a friend or acquaintance from the past?" she started.

Jisoo gulped, she looked down and played with her fingers, "Not really..."

"See! You don't even know him until recently. What am I missing? What are you thinking?" Lisa questioned.

Jisoo looked up to her, "He looks... Sad and lonely."

Lisa scoffed, "And so?"

"And... I... I thought that maybe I... could help him," she bit her lip and looked down again.

"Help him? Are you a comedian? Why should it be your concern when he is sad?" Lisa asked, displeased.

Jisoo stared at her, "Because maybe he just needs someone to be there for him."

"Why does it have to be you? You're strangers!"

"Is it wrong for me to be that person?"

"You are not a rehabilitation center for sad assholes, Jisoo," Lisa stated and leaned back.