Crime and Punishment

The next morning has finally come, almost too quick for Henry's liking. He and Jasper were on their way to Phoenix, they wanted to be there with lots of time to get to the court before the trial. The entire ride there, Henry was deliberated on what he was going to say to Charlotte. When they arrived, they saw that they were a few minutes after nine, which means they had ample time to grab a quick bite to eat. Jasper spotted a diner a few feet from where they were parked. They walked in and ordered their food.

Meanwhile...

Charlotte woke up with nervousness written all over her face. She picked out her outfit which consisted of a Salmon color maternity adjustable Crisscross Tie Back Tube Jumpsuit that she and Chloe bought yesterday at a store 20 miles away from Charlotte's house.

Good morning. Charlotte said on the couch next to her mom.

Morning. Ready for the trial? Kim asked.

Yeah. Charlotte said taking a deep breath.

You guys leaving after the trial? Paul clarified.

Yep, we want to be home by tonight. Charlotte answered. Heels were head coming down the stairs, and the three people who were in the living saw Chloe coming down the stairs wearing dark blue leg suede stiletto-heeled sandals while rocking a Smocked Puff Sleeve Mini Dress.

And where are you going, young lady? Paul asked.

To court with Charlotte. Chloe answered.

In that? Kim asked, looking her up and down.

Just because I am going to court doesn't mean I need to not look my best. Chloe smiled.

For who? Paul asked.

Probably an inmate. Charlotte whispered to herself.

Heard that. Chloe smiled. "Anyways, are you ready? The trial starts in a half-hour."

Yeah, let's go. Charlotte said. She followed Chloe out to the car, and together they drove to the courthouse.

Moments later...

Once they arrived, the detectives that had processed the case came up to them and escorted them into the building.

Miss Charlotte, it's nice to see you again. Sadly, it has to be under these circumstances. He said. "Will you be testifying today?"

I'd rather not. But if you need me, I will. She said.

Oh, it's no problem. We have enough evidence to convict him, but if it has to come to you testifying, please do. He should know that you are the reason why he is going to jail. You also have to understand that he is still underage, which means his sentence won't be anywhere near the maximum/life penalty. The Detective told Charlotte.

He's almost 18. Will his sentence change? I just want to make sure I never see him again. Charlotte said.

Don't worry, it doesn't matter how old he is, he will be in prison walls for a very long time. When he does turn 18, the state will transfer him into more adult facilities. He'll still get a few years for what he did. The detective assured her.

It's time. Charlotte said, looking at her phone when it buzzing in her purse.

In court.

It was 10:00 on the dot, the judge had just ascended into his chair and Grant was brought in cuffed flanked by two huge officers. Charlotte couldn't deny that he looked scared, but when their eyes locked, she saw a small smirk. Everyone knew the trial was just a formality because of the evidence there was against Grant, but his defense fought to the death to save him. Grant's mom took the stand and the defense began questioning.