All I Knew Was Fear

Charlotte woke up that morning feeling like hell. She really didn't want to go to school especially with what happened 2 days ago. Charlotte reluctantly pulled herself out of bed and showered then got dressed. As she was finishing she looked at herself in the mirror then she gingerly touched the bruises and cuts on her face. She winced at the pain when her fingers hit a particularity sensitive spot. She opted against applying make-up to spare herself the pain and it would be good for Grant to see what he did to her. Grant was her Boyfriend, at least he used to be. Grant had screwed that up when he attacked and raped her the other day. Charlotte never felt so bad, but intended on burying it by not letting anyone know that something was bothering her. She couldn't tell anyone because she thought it was too embarrassing. She checked her phone and saw that it was almost time for school and she rushed down then grabbed a bagel on her way out the door and drove herself to school.

Before getting out of the car, she plastered a fake smile on her face and ignored the pain from the bruises on her face. Her friend, Lindsey was waiting outside. Her smile faded when Lindsey saw the bruises on Charlotte's face.

Char, What happened? Lindsey asked in a worried tone.

I..uh..fell down the stairs this morning. she lied

Oh, are you okay? She asked still worried.

I'll be fine,Linds. she reassured her friend. Charlotte then took her arm and steered Lindsey away from Grant who was sitting at their regular table. She sent Grant a pointed glare as she walked by.

The day went by slowly for Charlotte. By the end of the day, she was sick of people constantly asking her what happened to her face. She used the falling down the stairs so many times that day that she almost started to believe herself. She met Lindsey out by her car and saw that Lindsey was still looking worried. Charlotte did her best to reassure her friend but it was hard to reassure someone when you felt like she did. Charlotte's life was falling apart around her and she couldn't do anything about it. Her parents weren't home yet when she got there. Charlotte decided to take a shower before her parents got home because she still felt dirty from what Grant did to her. She knew her parents were worried about her because they freaked out when they saw her face. She shuddered when she remembered how they reacted.

Flashback

Kim and Paul walked in the front door to find their daughter crying in the bathroom.

Charlotte? What's wrong? Kim asked concerned.

Sweetie, what happened to your face? Paul asked.

It's ok. I.... I just fell down the stairs. I'm okay. She tried to reassure her parents. It was hard to reassure someone when you are crying.

Are you sure, baby? That looks really painful. Kim said stroking Charlotte's ravaged face.

Flashback over

She was now laying in her bed and reading a book when her phone started ringing. She glanced at the caller ID and couldn't believe that Grant was calling her. She angrily threw her phone across the room because she thinks Grant doesn't know the definition of Break up . Grant's action had changed her life for the worse because She hated Grant. She never wanted to see or hear from him. Charlotte's phone started ringing again she thought it was Grant again but she wanted to make sure so she could ignore it. She picked up her phone and saw the caller ID and saw that it was Chloe.

Hey. she said trying to put some happy into her voice.

Hey, girl. Chloe said happily.

Hey, Chlo. Charlotte said.