Lost Trust

It has been three weeks since Charlotte and Henry had talked outside of the court. As much as she missed him, she still didn't feel as though she could trust him. He was still there for the doctor's appointments with Charlotte, it was still understood that he will still be in the baby's life. Along with Chloe, she walked into the school, seeing Henry sit at their usual table. She took a deep sigh because even though Charlotte and he are broken up, it didn't mean friendships needed to be torn apart as well. 

We have an ultrasound next week. Tuesday at 4:20.  Charlotte said to Henry, once she sat down. 

I'll be there. He said, loving to hear the sound of her voice. 

Great. She said smiling slightly again. She lapsed into silence again and averted her eyes from Henry's. 

So, prom is coming up. Are we all going together? Chloe shot in, trying to break the awkward silence. 

I don't think I'm going to be able to attend. Charlotte said, eyeing her stomach. 

Come on. Listen, I know you are pregnant, but this is something we have been dreaming about ever since we were in the 7th grade when your sister, Chelsea went. Besides, I already have a dress ordered for you. Chloe said, smiling. 

And when did you do this? Charlotte asked. 

6 weeks ago. I had to get it straight from France, and my mom's designer was pissed that I called her at short notice. But, she'll get over it. Being pregnant won't change how beautiful you will look in the dress. Chloe begged. 

Thanks, Chloe. I really mean it, but that's not why I am not going to prom.  She said getting up and hurrying away. "I got to go. Bye."

I'll be right back. Chloe said getting up to follow Charlotte. 

Charlotte walked to her locker and dug through her books trying to find her math HW. 

Char, I'm sorry. Chloe walking to stand with her best friend. 

It's ok, Chloe. But, I still can't go to prom. She said. 

That's fine, but I think you should come. We can go together, I'll tell Jasper. Chloe said. 

 Chloe, I just don't feel up to it, and I know it's 2 weeks away but right now, and in my state of mind, I don't think I can spend a night with Henry. Charlotte explained. 

I know, and I'm here for you. I know that he's sorry and he blames himself for all of it. Last night, Jasper told me he was really torn up about it. Chloe said. 

I know, and I'm not mad at him anymore. I just can't be with him anymore. He knows that, should understand that. Charlotte said sadly. "I don't think we will ever get past this."

It's ok, Let's just get to class. Chloe said, taking Charlotte's hand and leading her to their English class. 

Inside class

Charlotte sat in the class, scrolling through her phone, she couldn't concentrate on the teacher telling everyone about goals and dreams. She saw Chloe glance sideways at her, concerned. She smiled at Chloe to try to reassure her, Chloe nodded minutely and went back to facing the teacher. 

Am I interrupting something, ladies? The teacher said to Chloe and Charlotte. 

No. Charlotte said quietly. 

No, I was just checking in with Charlotte on something. Chloe said. 

Well, do it on your own time, girls. This is my class, which means you will listen, and pay attention to me. The teacher explained. "I know about your break-up, and I'm pretty sure the whole school knows about it as well."