Flesh and Blood

Morning

Henry tried to sleep but couldn't close his eyes for a single second without experiencing a dream about burying Paul in a cemetery. Those words on the phone with Chelsea nearly paralyzed him; it wasn't the first time he'd had to cope with someone close to him dying, and it was his Uncle Sean on his mother's family who had the same ailment. Henry was just 7 years old when his uncle died, and when he asked questions, he was told that his uncle had gone away for a long time and would never return. In the seventh grade, he learned that his Uncle had died, which devastated him the most because they only saw each other on rare occasions. 

As the morning sun shone through the window of the high-rise penthouse, Henry stood in front of it, watching the city go by and how everyone else in the city may travel without concern. While his family was about to lose another memeber. 

"PSST! PSSSST!" 

Charlotte slowly opened her eyes to find her father standing over her, his right hand clutching his IV drip.

JESUS! Charlotte was taken aback by what she was witnessing.

We have to get out of here! Paul spoke to Charlotte in hushed tones. "I believe they have us kidnapped. Don't be concerned; I'll get us out!"

With that, Paul picked up a tray that had his food on it to a nearby window, causing a shattered pattern on it. 

DAD! What the hell?! Charlotte screamed, standing up. "Why are you out of bed?"

Let's not be worried, Jolly insect. I'll get you out of here. Paul encircled his daughter's face with his hands.

Jolly bug? Charlotte inquired, unsure of what he was referring to.

While she was preoccupied by her thoughts, her father grabbed up a nearby chair and flung it at the window, causing it to break slightly.

HOLY SHIT! Charlotte shrieked and shielded herself from any flying glass pieces.

Freedom! Freedom! Freedom! Out the half-broken glass, Paul continued to chant.

At the same time, the nurses, who had heard the ruckus down the hall, rushed in and attempted to get Paul back into his bed.

GET OFF OF ME! Paul screamed as he was starting to struggle with the nurses as they tried to restrain him down. 

Is this normal? Charlotte asked one of the nurses, who was standing in between the door frame. 

Not usually, but it's definitely not uncommon. It's probably just one of the medication we gave him might give hallucinations. The Nurse explained. "Once we give him this morphine, he will soon be relaxed, and we will change his dosage." 

GET OFF OF ME! Paul yelled as he struggled with the nurses, who were attempting to restrain him.

Is this something that happens frequently? Charlotte approached one of the nurses who was standing in the gap between the door frames.

Not frequently, although it's not uncommon either. It's quite likely that one of the medications we gave him is causing hallucinations. The Nurse elaborated. "Once we give him this morphine, he'll be comfortable in no time, and we'll adjust his dosage."

I appreciate it. Charlotte replied as she began to gnaw her nails.

The nurses were able to detain her father and administer morphine, which significantly calmed him down and caused him to fall asleep.

He's going to be out for a few hours. I think you should go home. The nurse placed their hand on Charlotte's shoulder. "I promise to call and update if you anything goes wrong."