A Day Like No Other

The penthouse

As Christian emerged from the elevator, he was greeted by Henry, who was sitting in their living room with a cup of scotch in his hand, in dim lighting.

Welcome home, Christian. Henry said, in a calm tone. "Have a seat."

Christian walked to the seat that his dad was pointing at on the couch. He had a hard time finding it since the light's in their living room looked like the one in a police interrogation room.

Why are the lights like this? Christian asked, wondering.

Because I like it and you don't have to pay for it, I can do whatever I want with them. Henry stated unequivocally. "Now, let's get back to the main point. This morning, I spoke with your mother and we had an unexpected conversation. Is there anything else you'd like to say-"

Yes, I'm gay, and yes, I dated an older man who is legally allowed to vote, drink, smoke, and own a firearm. Christian said, leaping from his seat, admitting while simultaneously attempting to slash the length of the conversation they were about to have in half. "If you have an issue, can we discuss it now so we don't have to deal with it later?"

Um....Sure. Henry stutters, realizing he didn't have anything further to say because he expected the talk to last longer, and astonished that Christian admitted so much. "When did you realize you were into guys?"

Watching "Queer As Folk" did it for me. Christian reflected on the moment he realized his sexual orientation.

Huh. Henry acknowledged with a nod of his head. "Why didn't you tell me or your mother? We share everything with each other."

I didn't tell you because it wasn't as simple as informing you that I was on the Honor Roll. Christian explained the issues. "I was worried you'd pass judgment on me."

Judge you? Christian, remember that your mom and I weren't that much older than you when we had you. Henry said, trying to reassure Christian. "You had nothing to be afraid of."

With that kind of news, I didn't want to be too certain. Christian stated as he gazed down at the ground. "I'm sorry for not informing you or your mom sooner; it's just-"

You are not required to explain yourself. Henry intervened, bringing his kid to a halt. "But, as your father, can I ask if you've done "it" yet?"

I'm still a virgin, believe it or not. Christian spoke as if it were the most humiliating thing he had ever had to do. "Can we discuss this later?"

Thank god. Henry said, getting up and letting out a sigh of relief.

What's with the big sigh? Christian questioned. "Are you that happy that i came out?"

In certain ways, yes. I assumed your mom was going to tell me that you got a girl pregnant, but I see I won't have to. Henry explained, rising up and smiling humorously.

Yeah, no need to worry about that. Christian said, getting up from the couch, and letting out a depressing sigh. "I don't think he will pay any attention to me since I might've screwed up royally last night."

You know what might cheer you up? Henry said, moving closer to his son's side.

What? Christian said, still sounding depressed.

How does a Reservation at La jeune nuit? Henry suggested, grinning from ear to ear.

Not hungry. Christian declined. "Can I go upstairs? I'm tired."

Ding-DIng

The two's talk was cut short when they heard the elevator doors open but no one exit.