Chapter 23

Auroras POV

I wandered out back behind the school to meet up with Zion. I wanted to only have a quick conversation with him so that I can go back inside and dance with Owen.

Looking around I spot someone leaning against the building with one leg propped up.

I could tell it was Zion from his hair and posture. It's felt like years since I've seen him and I hate that I've missed him.

"Hey" I say once I'm standing next to him.

He's looking at the ground not making eye contact with me.

"Look I was having a fun time tonight so if you can make this quick that would be great" I spoke a bit more harshly.

He continued to stare at the ground

"Are you gonna talk?" I spoke out again

"You don't deserve this Aurora" he was quiet and didn't sound like himself. I gave him a weird look

"What are you talk-" he cut me off "I'm sorry but I just want you to know that I had no choice"

I was beginning to worry. He sounded insane at this point.

"Zion what's going on?" I looked around panicking

"He's gonna kill me if I don't do it" he voice was cold and sounded distant almost.

"Zion who?" I cupped his face forcing him to look at me.

His face was pale and his eyes were puffy, it looked like he had been crying. I could smell alcohol and cigarettes radiating off of him. He looked awful.

"My father" he looked back down as my hands let go of his face. I turned away from him unsure of what to say or do.

I began to hear a small clicking noise behind me. Someone had ran into me and pushed me to the ground but I was unable to register who.

I loud bang went off sending a loud ringing noise throughout my ears.

Pulling myself off the ground I saw a limp body laying on the ground. I looked over at Zion who's hand was shaking as he held a gun in his hand, tears were pouring down his face.

I looked at him as my eyes widened in horror. He soon shoved the gun back into his pocket and ran off.

Regaining my senses I ran over to the body on the ground. I pulled the hand off the persons face to get a glimpse of their identity.

When your floating in the darkness nothing hurts. Nothing aches or weighs down your soul that reminds you of your past mistakes.

When floating in the darkness you are at peace but everyone that has been through hell knows that peace doesn't last forever. Sadly that's all reality is

I closed my eyes breathing in and out trying to not lose it. I could feel the water pooling into my eyes and soon one by one they all fell.

"A-Aurora" his eyes opened a little bit as he looked up at me.

"Hey-hey it's gonna be ok" I bit my lips trying not to cry out. I looked down at his stomach seeing blood pool out onto the concrete. I placed my hand on the wound trying to apply pressure.

He placed his hand on my arm "I-I love you" his eyes began to close a bit.

"O-Owen I need you to stay with me ok?" I moved the hair out of his face and his grip on my arm began to loosen.

My tears were falling on the pavement as I heard sirens getting closer. My hands covered in his own blood.

"I promised Damien nothing bad would happen to you and I planned to keep that promise" he leaned closer having our lips connect.

The day of our first kiss flashed through my mind. Tonight was supposed to be a night to remember and I guess it will be but this isn't the way I wanted. All of the smiles and laughs we shared resurfaced.

Steadily, his kisses began getting slower and soon stopped moving. I pulled away watching his eyes flutter close and his lips parted slightly.

"O-Owen I need you to wake up" sobs rang out and I shook his arm a bit hoping to get a response but didn't get one.

I closed my eyes screaming his name into the air wanting this to be a horrible nightmare. More police vehicles showed up and soon an officer had to pull me away from Owen.

I had just lost my best friend and the love of my life.

I definitely wasn't crying while writing this. There's gonna be at least one more chapter and then the book will probably be complete.